1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kyle Orton starting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starving Journalist, Dec 11, 2007.

1. I called it at the beginning of the year....so did Woody Paige for that matter.

"With Rex Grossman hurt and Brian Griese continually ineffective, Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith will turn to No. 3 quarterback Kyle Orton, who has not played at all this season, to start against the Minnesota Vikings next Monday night.

Kyle Orton

Orton

Orton, 25, started 15 games for the Bears as a rookie in 2005, after Grossman was injured but has not thrown a pass in the nearly two full seasons since. He did pilot Chicago to an eight-game winning streak in 2005 and led the Bears to a division title.

"I'm a better player now than I was as a rookie," Orton told Chicago-area reporters on Monday afternoon. "If I play well and win football games, it will be my job. This is the most excited I've been, and I look forward to the game. I'm just a better player [now]."

In a season of instability at the position, the Bears will become the sixth franchise to use three different starting quarterbacks this season. Orton will become the NFL's 57th different starter for 2007.

Grossman opened the season as the starter, lost his job to Griese and then regained it. But the former first-round choice suffered a knee injury in last Thursday's loss at Washington and, while he will not need surgery, the injury will sideline him for the balance of the season.

In all, Grossman logged seven starts and Griese six this season. It is believed that, barring injury, Orton will be the starter for the final three games of the campaign.

"He's a smart football player with a strong arm," Smith said in making the announcement that Orton will start. "Our guys have played with him, so they know It's just time to see what Kyle can do."

In his 15 appearances in 2005, Orton completed 190 of 368 passes for 1,869 yards, with nine touchdown passes and 13 interceptions, for a passer rating of 59.7. With Orton in the lineup that year, the Bears relied heavily on their running game and a rugged defense.

A former Purdue standout, Orton was a fourth-round choice in the 2005 draft.

``I think everybody knows that I've been frustrated and haven't liked my role, but it's what it was and I tried to make the best of it and now my job's just to focus on the future and try to play well and let everything work itself out,'' Orton said.

In an unrelated matter, the Bears placed defensive tackles Antonio Garay (ankle) and Anthony Adams (elbow) on injured reserve, ending their seasons. " ESPN.COM

2. pallister

pallister Guest

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Good for you (and Woody Paige)! Good for Gary Hogeboom!

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Kyle Orton's a dick.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

If he wears that 'C' and has the ball snapped to him, chances are he's gonna suck. The Bears should just draft Darren McFadden and run Arkansas' Wildcat formation. Just drop all the pretense of trotting out another waste of skin at QB.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Good for Kyle. He game me one of the greatest football memories of my college career:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Um, if they plan to rely on a running game and defense like they did when he was QB in '05, there's a problem: The Bears have neither in '07.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hope he lays off the Jack.

[​IMG]

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Yes, and I hope he doesn't trip over Brian Griese's dog.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey Jerry Angelo, it's Jeff George. Yeah I called you yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that too, but I heard a click as I left the message so I thought maybe we got cut off. That happens sometimes. Or maybe the tape ran out on your voice mail machine. Anyway, I see Grossman got hurt so I figured I'd give you a call and let you know I've stayed in shape and I'm ready to come in and play quarterback for you guys. I've been throwing to an ex-college teammate, some big fat lardass who has done some sports writing or some crap, and I know I can come in and be solid right away.

Again: This is Jeff George. That's J-E-F-F G-E-O-R-G-E. I figured you might have thought I spelled my name G-E-O-F-F J-O-R-G-E and maybe you lost the number I left you and you called directory assistance and there was no Geoff Jorge so you decided not to call me. So again it's J-E-F-F G-E-O-R-G-E. Give me a call. Thanks. J-E-F-F G-E-O-R-G-E.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Classic.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll take 107-year-old George Blanda over Jeff George.

Draft saved Draft deleted