1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ky. teen facing jail for naming sexual assault attackers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Contempt charges will not be pursued:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120723/NEWS01/307230081/Contempt-motion-withdrawn-sexual-assault-victim-Savannah-Dietrich-who-tweeted-attackers-names?odyssey=nav%7Chead

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good for her. Braindead legal scholars, including people on this board, debate and pontificate legal precedents. This young woman saw the absolute absurdity of it all, and did the right thing.

3. poindexter

oh jeez. They were lacrosse players.

http://hana-rosemona.tumblr.com/post/27821489275/here-are-the-two-rapists-that-assaulted-savannah

Will Frey III

Austin Zehnder

If there is a god, their names will be attached to the words "rapist" and "sexual assault" forever more in the google machine, like they are now.

4. I got nothing when I pulled that up. It has been removed.

5. poindexter

I just pulled it up and this is a different computer from this afternoon.

6. Original link's not working for me either.

Found another: http://panayiotabertzikis.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/austin-zehnder-and-will-frey-are-rapists/

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yerp. i think you accomplished that, p-dexter.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No judge likes to see someone directly disobey them. Hard to see the judge getting lenient. But to Savannah I say throw yourself at the mercy of the judge and serve your time. Afterwards, never ever let the world forget the names of Frey and Zehnder and keep exercising your first amendment rights.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Slacktivism rules!

10. poindexter

Why?

11. printit

printit Member

A judge does not have the power to tell a victim she can't discuss what happened to her (even in juvenile court). This would be unconstitutional and, in fact, unenforceable (can she not tell her therapist? her parents? her lawyer? her preacher? her best friend? future husband?...). The story does not stop being hers just because she files charges. The judge does have the power to tell the victim she cannot discuss the outcome of the case. That is what is confidential.

Do judges exceed their power in orders? Yes. Technically, you can be held in contempt for violating an unconstitutional order. The proper method is to get the order overturned, not just disobey it. That being said, that is an awful lot to ask of a 17 year old. In the case above the lawyers for the boys filed a motion asking that the young woman be held in contempt, then withdrew said motion before the hearing. There was never a serious chance that this girl was going to jail.

12. poindexter

No. What she did was the "proper method".

Draft saved Draft deleted