1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Warner to Tim Tebow: Tone it down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sounds like salesmanship. Warner thinks that Tebow hurts his cause more than he helps it as people don't like to be preached to in the way he goes about it.

2. Dick Whitman

Perhaps "preached to" is not even the right way to put it.

What Tebow is doing isn't preaching necessarily. He's doing what athletes do all the time - cramming a sentence about Jesus into an answer about football. It's easy to make fun of, compared to, say, a heartfelt, thoughtful expression of faith in the proper venue with the proper tone.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Who determines the proper venue and tone? You?

I would imagine Mr. Tebow has read Colossians 3:17 quite a few times -- "And whatever you do, whether by speech or action, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One presumes Mr. Warner to be familiar with that passage as well.

And yet suggested young Tebow tone it down.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I heard an interview in which Tebow said he praises Jesus over everyone, including his parents. I understand that is part of the faith because I grew up in a family with religious parents, but when Tebow said his parents come after that ... well, it caught me as insincere. I don't want to steer this thread in another direction because I expect a lot of the "I want to thank God" talk by athletes and actors and the like, but to go further and put your faith in a type of order (1. Jesus 2. Parents 3. Friends) is just too much.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm sure Tebow also is familiar with Matthew 6:1-18.

Wonder why you didn't mention that particular passage.

7. Dick Whitman

Why so confrontational?

What I am saying is that he should find the proper venue and tone to have maximum effect to have his message taken seriously by the masses. To win the most converts, so to speak.

If this is the way, then God bless him. But I don't think it is, and Warner doesn't, either.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

God, Family, and the Green Bay Packers.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I wonder if Tebow is familiar with Puritan Magazine Five?

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

This could not be further from the truth.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just remember: according to Tebow, if you haven't devoted your existence to the baby Jesus (and I am a Jesus adherent, BTW), you're going to hell.

Tolerance, baby.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How is that intolerant?

Draft saved Draft deleted