1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Warner to Tim Tebow: Tone it down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I hate Vick. I didn't even like him before he went to jail.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If anything, I bet Tebow's devotion endears him to his black teammates. Let's not forget who the most socially conservative demographic in America is.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I take my cues from St. Augustine ... "Go into the world and spread the Gospel. And when necessary, use words." ... TTebow, btw, was far more accustomed to the big stage then KWarner was when he came out of NIowa, IBarnstormers, and Safeway ... so if Warner made a few more mistakes in expressing himself (and I'm not saying he did), he had a little catching up to do ...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why would you be bothered by any of it?

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I guess bothered isn't the right word. I have always felt religion is a private matter.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're genuine about your beliefs and you truly live your life that way, and by every indication, Tebow does, people are going to respect that even if they don't agree with it.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Really, you are "way more bothered" by a player saying the word Jesus than a guy like TO doing things like throwing his Eagles QB under the bus after the Super Bowl, making homophobic insinuations about his Niners QB, getting in locker room fights with his teammates, walking out of training camp, getting suspended by his coach for four games mid-season, etc.?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't get that, either. I can understand finding Tebow more annoying that Chad Whateverthehellhewantstocallhimself. At least he's trying to be funny rather than trying to push his religion on everybody else.

And please, don't anybody try to tell me that isn't what Tebow does. It is. He's not particularly obnoxious about it, but that is kind of the point of spreading the word.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Maybe Warner took a cue from Drew Brees and saw someone who spreads the word through example rather than oratory.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've been very lucky. I have a LOT of friends who are pretty devout Christians. They all know I'm on the border between agnostic/atheist. None of them have ever preached to me, or tried to save me. But to a man, they've said "if you ever have questions, or want to talk about it, I'm here." It's wonderful.

So yes, from what I know, a large part of Christianity is spreading the word. Whether that's handing out pamphlets on a street corner, going door-to-door with church fliers or getting on national TV and thanking God for your success, it's all the same. I'm not keen on any of it, and I think there are ways to do it that are more personal than grandstanding. That's where my issue with Warner/Tebow/etc. comes in.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I keep thinking of Matthew 6:5
    "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full."

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Only thing I dislike about Tebow is that he played for Florida and got most all the calls from the refs and an endless Heisman push from the Almighty itself, ESPN.

Heck, Florida erected a tribute to the guy BEFORE he graduated.

Draft saved Draft deleted