1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Warner to Tim Tebow: Tone it down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Warner says that Tebow's constant references to his "Lord and Savior" and in-your-face evangelizing harm the cause more than advancing it. He says to lead by example:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/super-bowl-hero-kurt-warners-suprising-tebow-advice

It's interesting, because, as the article points out, Warner used to be the guy who was constantly praising Jesus in every answer he gave. I was actually thinking about this the other day, because he's become a pretty decent analyst, and I noticed that I don't hear much from him about Jesus any more. It had to be a conscious decision on his part, either to make himself more marketable for a post-NFL career in the studio, or because - like he says here - he was self-aware enough to realize that he was drawing more ridicule than converts.

Thought it was interesting stuff coming from him. Had anyone else noticed that he had backed off some in recent years?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

OK, got that out of the way.

I can only hope Warner did learn that. It would stun me how he could work Jesus into ANY question. Honey vs. vinegar, etc. Stop fucking drowning me in vinegar.

3. You can work Jesus into any question, when he's the answer.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on the interviews I've seen with Tebow, he doesn't seem nearly as in your face about it as Warner was during the Rams' two SB runs.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you'd ask sports fans of this era what is the most memorable out-of-context and off-the-wall mention of Jesus, Warner on the stage during the Super Bowl trophy presentation would be the runaway answer.

Maybe it's good advice in a "take it from a guy who's been there" sense.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I still remember the quote, pretty much word for word, after Tirico asked him some football question.

"Well, first thing's first, Mike. Thank you Jesuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!"

7. Mizzougrad96

I've never interviewed Tebow, but I remember Warner in 1999 and it was beyond anything I saw during my time in journalism.

I get the sense that Tebow is capable of staying on topic, which is something that would have served Warner well back then.

8. Dick Whitman

Everyone is pouncing on Warner for calling the kettle black.

I think that's his point, though.

Don't make my mistakes.

It's amazing how much he's toned it down since then. He's so normal now.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't care who tells Tebow to shut the fuck up, as long as somebody does.

Good on Kurt. This is almost enough to forgive the 900,293,202 shots of his wife during the 1999-00 playoffs.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As long as Warner does not take Tebow's name in vain.

11. Mizzougrad96

Kurt is genuinely a good guy. I get the sense Tebow is too...

12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, which I think is kind of Warner's point.

Be a role model and people will be more apt to follow your lifestyle than if you preach to them, which may come as a turn-off. Kind of a surprising conclusion for Warner to come to, because I thought a foundation of his belief system was to basically preach it from the mountaintop, as the Bible instructs.

Draft saved Draft deleted