1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Cobain sucked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 17, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Very well put.

Nirvana Unplugged is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard -- even today, all these years later -- but I can understand people who just don't get Cobain or the whole Seattle/Grunge scene. After all, I'm an enormous music fan and I think Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones are two of the most overrated bands ever.

I know I'm probably in the minority on that, but I can't help how I feel. And because music is such a personal, individual thing, like most forms of art, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

2. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

i hope you're kidding.

3. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I never completely "got" Kurt Cobain. All the adoration seems a bit like the "Emperor's New Clothes" children's story. Celebrating Cobain became the cool thing to do, so that's what people did. Sure, Nirvana had some good songs, but I hardly felt he "defined" my generation.

Putting Cobain in the pantheon of great artists (Beatles, Dylan, etc.) is a bit over the top for me.

Part of this stems from my love of Pearl Jam. I always felt they got screwed, especially when people claim Nirvana "paved the way" for Pearl Jam. They broke about the same time from the same scene and considering Mother Love Bone, a band that "paved the way" for Nirvana included members who went on to form Pearl Jam, I consider the claim to be complete and utter crap.

Pearl Jam has proven itself worthy of Rolling Stone covers and critical fellatio, but since Eddie Vedder had the sense not to off him self, he's not nearly as cool.  ::)

Cobain doesn't suck, but he's closer to sucking than being great [admitedlybitterPearlJamfan]

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Read the last two lines of the post before yours. I'm not. But thanks for your input.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

You can be a little too stuck-in-the-late-eighties for my tastes but this one post will make think nothing but positive thoughts about you for just about forever. Well done.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

By the way, I have downloaded Worldwide Suicide and I do like it. Doesn't rank as one of my all-time favourite songs. Nonetheless, it is on my MP3 player. Also rather enjoy the Foo Fighters.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Disturbed is a halfway decent live band, and they produce decent c.d's. That said, they aren't close to being in the same league with Pearl Jam and Nirvana, which produced some of the most thought-provoking music of the 1990s.

8. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

P.S. Foo Fighters stink.
    Were Cobain the artist and visionary that so many people claim him to be, then he rolls over in his grave every time a Foo Fighters song gets played.

Dave Grohl is a pretty funny interview from what I see on TV, though. How he and Cobain coexsisted boggles my mind.

That is all.

9. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

ed and the band decided to shun the mainstream popularity and attention, not that ed decided not to off himself.

i'm going to pop in the pj unplugged dvd boot real soon. i have a lot of respect for dave grohl, but the FF are shit.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've got Disturbed and Nirvana and Pearl Jam in amongst my CDs, and HB's right. Disturbed, while decent, isn't in league with PJ and Nirvana. Nirvana and the other Seattle bands changed music. Disturbed just followed a trend that already existed.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

And it wasn't even the first trend they followed! Just proving most rock stars are--much like the record execs they swear to hate, *cough* Jani Lane *cough cough*--complete whores trying to get famous by latching on to whatever's hot, here's a picture of Disturbed's guitarist from the late '80s/early '90s!!!

[​IMG]

And most of Disturbed was in this band!!

[​IMG]

That's hardcore!!! WOCKA WOCKA WOCKA!!!!!

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Man, you guys sure have latched onto Disturbed as your defence. Would it have been better if I'd said Slipknot. Oh wait, Corey has that other project, Stone Sour. He's just a whore, too.
    Mudvayne?
    Atreyu?
    Devil Driver?
    Seether?
    Shine Down?
    Oh no, here's as commercial as it gets ... Godsmack.

Draft saved Draft deleted