1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos to JENNA FRYER at NHIS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

So let me get this straight. They want to ban Jenna Fryer from Cup races for asking a tongue-in-cheek question, but they have no qualms about letting that lady from Sirius in there, who makes a career of asking some of the most off-the-wall, useless and ridiculous questions you will ever hear. Ahhh, you gotta love the PR folk.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You're not talking about Claire B. are you?

3. lono

lono Active Member

Don't know. I didn't say that.

4. RedSmithClone

I guess the no disrespect to Jenna lead in threw me off.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only time I've ever threatened to be sued was by a racing PR flak ... and IRL PR flak ... during the IRL's sub-amateur late 90s era ... representing perhaps the worst driver to ever regularly appear in any racing series.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No joke. NASCAR wants to brag to everyone about how accessible the drivers and other types are to everyone who will listen to them, and some tool is a big enough turd to threaten Jenna?

Screw NASCAR. Hard. But am I surprised? No. Typical NASCAR crap ... nothing like a little veiled threat to let them know they didn't appreciate something. Pretty rank and file with those pieces of crap.

So they don't allow Jenna. Then someone else gets thrown into the Lion's Den. The stories aren't informative. NASCAR will claims it's misrepresented. Readers, particularly those in the South who deem NASCAR absolutely infallible at all times with all issues, get pissed off.

Make up your mind, NASCAR. Going to do what you do best and change the rules midstream ... again? [/rant]

7. RedSmithClone

When did Tony Stewart drive IRL again . . .

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I covered NASCAR races in the late 90s and early part of this decade when I was starting out. Access was pretty good. Most interviews with drivers I did were informal one-on-ones.

After covering it last in '01, I took another job and did not get a chance to do another Cup race until '06. I was shocked at how much it had changed.

Access was as bad as I've seen it in any professional sport or racing series, and I've covered all of the biggies. PR flaks ran rampant, and unlike other series, really made no effort to develop a working relationship with the press (I'm sure there are those that do, though).

Sponsorship obligations, which were coming to a head even when I was started out, had become ludicrous ... winning drivers weren't showing up after races until about an hour after it was over due to the hat dance photos, etc.

I can honestly say that F1, which has the reputation of being media-unfriendly, was easier to handle than NASCAR. I never failed to get an interview I sought when I covered the USGP and the drivers are off the podium and facing the press within ten minutes of the podium ceremony. If you're organized, you can get just about anyone.

As for Jenna Fryer, she is among a handful of AP writers I make a point to read if I see the byline. She does a great job.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hiro Matsushita raced in the IRL?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Greg Ray or Dr. Jack Miller?

I was listening to the post-race press conference on the radio while waiting for traffic to get me to Foxborough -- the New Hampshire radio station was airing the post-race -- and I vaguely heard the question as the static faded in and out. In fact, I think I heard a bunch of laughter after that comment, as RSC suggests. And I think I heard a related quip from Bowyer in the folo question, too.

In other words, the flack was being an asshat. Not a surprise, but not called for.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Good for Jenna for asking the smart ass question. Sometimes it's those types of questions that help you gain more respect from athletes and it helps break the ice.

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it good that when I hear Jenna Fryer, I sometimes get her confused with Jenna Fischer from The Office. I guess that's what I get for watching so much of The Office and reading AP NASCAR stories. Both are Jenna F's and seem like cool gals.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The funniest night in the history of SportsJournalists.com was the night where we had the "Welcome, Jenna Fryer!", "Welcome, David Poole!" and "Welcome, Chris Economaki!" threads all up simultaneously.

Draft saved Draft deleted