1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos To All Stay-at-Home Moms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We're all about the noise machine. And we swaddled, it was terrific.

And baby Slydell (aka Sam) never was colicy. He just keeps getting viruses passed that are passed around. PLus, he had ana anal fistula when he was about 3 months old, that was a lot of fun.

He usually only cries when he's sick, so we're lucky there. Just praying the virus season is about over.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One thing that amazes me as I appreciate this entire process...

How does a single woman do this by herself? Without a father in the picture, I mean, how does she do it?

Oh, any other guys as depressed as I was to see that baby formula is kept under lock and key in some grocery stores? Cigarettes and baby formula are behind the counter. It makes me very sad to think that some people are forced to steal formula.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Toddler W cried pretty much non-stop for 5-6 months. She had a very bad stomach and it was pure hell. She also did not sleep through the night for over a year. We weren't big on the cry it out thing, although once we tried it, she woke up once the first night and slept through the night the second.

We were big on the noise machine, the mobile and the lights on the ceiling.

4. Bob Slydell

Really? It isn't at ours. Of course, we used nutramigen (sp?), and it's 25 bucks for 16 ounces, so I've considered grabbing a couple of cans and making a run for it.

And I applaud anyone who can do this by themselves, successfully that is.

5. 93Devil

Yeah, I guess most people do not plan on doing it themselves.

Our neighbor just moved in and she has two kids, two and four, and the four is very special needs. Her husband passed away last year and she relocated to this house. It's way too much house and yard for her by herself, and it's kind of painful to watch. My wife also does not want me helping her too much because I'm sure, and my wife is as well, I will be taking care of two homes if I start. She's also half crazy/depressing, but that is for another thread.

Food Lion keeps it behind a case. Somehow we get these amazing coupons (two for one, five bucks off per can) on the powder, so I do not think I have spent full price yet.

There probably is some logic behind it. I'm sure when I buy Simulac the Enfamil people will have Food Lion print me a great coupon or vise versa. I like paying attention to the coupons I get, it is pretty scary knowing that "they" know everything I buy.

6. Bob Slydell

We also get free cans from our peditrician. Very few people use our kind of formula so we get it when we go in, which is A LOT this winter.

And yeah, once you help her you're stuck. It;s like feeding a stray cat.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but I am just libertarian/contrarian enough to not get the preferred shopper card for this very reason.

I must be a closet New Hampshirean (or whatever you call them).

Carry on, dads.

8. 93Devil

Bob, our girl is on the soy. It's a little special, but it's also just as common as the milk based.

Bat, that card has saved my life and I a lot of money so fer.

I know you want to "stay off the grid."

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Just woke up after a few hours sleep. Scrolled through the thread.

I'm with whoever mentioned the crying. I hate seeing/hearing my daughter cry. Thankfully she doesn't do it often. Mrs. Incaviglia and I are, surprisingly, pretty good at picking up on all the signals of dirty diapers, food, comfort, etc. before Little Inky starts crying.

We get our formula for free because my mom works at a doctor's office. It's part of the reason Mrs. Inky stopped breast feeding earlier than we wanted. It was taking a toll on her and since we get formula for free, we said to hell with it after three weeks.

Baby Inky's sleeping in two-hour stretches now. Eating every three hours. Although last night we lucked out with a four-hour stretch.

The only thing is, she grunts like crazy in her sleep. Sounds like she's stretching. It scares me and keeps me up.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Has she had her first shots yet? If not, you'll feel like the biggest bastard. When Princesscreole No. 2 had her first shots, I had to take her. When the needle went into her leg, she swung her head in my direction with this look on her face that said "Daddy ... HOW COULD YOU LET THEM??!? Asshole ..."

11. 93Devil

Inky, our girl is a little squeaker as well. I have noticed the squeaking may come before a spit up.

I'm almost positive it is normall. I'm 99 percent sure we have asked the doctor about it.

12. dmc

dmc Guest

I just heard the other day that many babies that have colic actually have acid reflux. All these years, those poor little babies who have had that. Its nasty enough for an adult but for little babies that dont have any idea what is happening.
    So if any of you know anyone who has a "colicy" baby, they should have it checked out.
    Sorry I dont remember the doctors name but if you google colic and acid reflux, I am sure the info will be there.
    One symptom that I thought was especially interesting. They will wake up all of a sudden and cry, for those of us that have had bouts of acid reflux, we all know what that is like. (not the crying part)

And yes, I love those stay at home parents, I wish there were more of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted