1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos to a parent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, May 4, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We get on here with our parent-bashing stories quite often, and almost all of them well-deserved forums for venting.

But I just wanted to share about a local family that I've been dealing with for 5-6 years now that handled themselves extremely well in a difficult situation. First off, this family has parents and kids that have or are now competing at a world-class level and every time I talk with them they are very cordial and humble. A refreshing breather from the two-year varsity QB who thinks he's going to Florida State in the fall and ends up playing flag football at the local JC.

Anyway, signing period has come and gone and in this kid's case, a senior, he verbally committed to one D-I program then reconsidered and officially signed with another. Delving into this subject matter would be like opening a hornet's nest around many families, coaches or ADs, but this family was very gracious even when faced with some tough questions. They allowed me to get to the heart of the matter without putting their guard up and it was much appreciated.

It wasn't the typical local boys does well, signs with State U story, but it gave a good look at some parts of recruiting that many people don't see.

A hefty hand clap to a mature senior and to an understanding father who let me do my job even if it meant shining light on a stumble in their road.

2. Nice story. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Most parents are great to deal with and really appreciate the coverage, but it seems like you get a few bad apples here and there.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why did the kid change his mind?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Seems like it'd be an interesting story to post, if only for that perspective. I understand not wanting to out yourself or anything though.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Calipari offered more money.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

You only cover use when we are gracious humans and not self-promoting a-holes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, that would be a good story because the parents usually aren't very open about that. I thought it was because of IRS laws and such.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I deal with a few self-promoters but most parents in my coverage area are pretty cool. I get a thank you note almost every time I do a signing story. I always write them back and thank them for sending me such a nice e-mail.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Having read the story in question, I don't think it would have stirred up much controversy to get to the heart of the matter. The kid really didn't fully answer why he changed his mind. I also wouldn't think an AD would care one way or the other about the situation.

10. I've found the the top-level athletes who deserve more coverage are accepting of a reporter's time constraints and usually far more open about their ups and downs while the mid- and low-level kids who don't deserve a lot of press and their parents send e-mail bombs about how terrible the coverage is every time a community college calls them about walking on and yet will ask you not to mention they got injured during a game you're covering.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

most of the players i have covered who went on to do some good things professionally have had the least pushy parents. They might call occasionally to tip me off to something, but were never demanding coverage of this or that.
    there have been some bad ones, too, but far less than the norm.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

He thought he heard at some point that the assistant coach he would be dealing most closely with was probably going to be leaving. Turns out that wasn't the case, and she had signed an extension to stay at the school in question. That school was his first choice early on, and once he got clarification on that coaches' future he confirmed that was where he wanted to go.

In response to Stitch...the kid bumbled through the explanation nervously a time or two, and rather than ask him a fourth time in hopes of getting a printable quote, I chose to paraphrase his explanation. I also asked others involved with the process, and that coaching situation was the only thing that came up each time.

Draft saved Draft deleted