1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos for a not-so-pleasant story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Feb 1, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We always get letters/e-mails/phone calls thanking us when we write that feature about superstar Johnnie who broke the Podunk Conference East Division's scoring record for players shorter than 6-foot-2. That's just the nature of this business.

Has anyone ever gotten praise from a party involved in a difficult story, though? Maybe an athletic director saying, "I don't like the topic, but you were fair." Mind you, that isn't the reason that we get into this business. But stuff like this is real praise, not the cookies Johnnie's mom sends over after your glowing coverage of her son's 25-point, 15-rebound performance.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wrote a story last year about a coach's not-so-subtle ability to seemingly have his name mentioned for every college basketball opening. He's caught quite a bit of grief for it in the past.
    So after one of his brief flirtations with another school, my boss had me do a wrap-up about all the schools he's been mentioned with. Came out like 20-something different programs in less than 7 years.
    I ran into said coach at a baseball game a day or two later.

ME: "What did you think?"
    COACH: "Well, I can't say I really liked it, but I understand why you wrote it."
    ME: "Was any of it not factual?"
    COACH: "Well, you missed two schools."

He immediately started laughing, and not surprisingly, I've never had a problem with that coach.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Surprsingly, you are much more likely to get a compliment on a negative/sensitive story than on a fluffy feature.

On the fluffer, you're gonna get the, "Why didn't you mention her teammate/cousin/stepbrother, etc."

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Obviously a lot of it depends on your beat. If you're an pro/major college beater, you're more likely to get a range of feedback from fans. If you're a high school beater, 95-99 percent of your feedback will be from coaches or parents who either liked, disliked or are requesting/demanding a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted