1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KSK Blogger Fired by WaPo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hot and Rickety, Apr 17, 2008.

1. VJ

VJ Member

Are you kidding me? Of course he has a right to free speech outside the office -- he doesn't however, have a right to publish that free speech on an independent blog and not suffer the consequences if it includes racist, profane and sexual jokes and he wasn't cleared to do it by his bosses.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I sent an e-mail to my boss telling him we should hire this guy.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Free speech does NOT mean free of consequences. Jesus. When will people get that?

No one stopped him from saying it. It doesn't mean he won't have repercussions.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you don't sign an oath of fealty to a newspaper when you hire on. More micromanaging, hypocritical bullshit from higher ups who fiddle while Rome burns.

Downie and the rest of the print elite should show a little vision for once. In a few years, the Post and other news orgs will be bidding for the best bloggers.

5. VJ

VJ Member

Clearly The Post just needs more racist Hines Ward jokes to turn around the downward circulation trend!

6. imjustagirl

goalmouth, I don't think if he had been blogging about sunshine and puppies we'd have this conversation.

He chose to deal with low-class humor, funny as it may be, and without the permission of his higher-ups. You trash your employer in between fart jokes, I doubt they're going to pat you on the back and put you on the fast track.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Content certainly plays some part in this, but more to the point is this: Most every staff employment agreement I've ever seen or signed requires me to check with that publication before freelancing for another entity. According to most of the stories we've seen, Tunison didn't get prior approval to write elsewhere. The NSFW nature of the content just made it easier for the Post to lower the boom.

8. imjustagirl

Yeah, jg, I mentioned that too. But you're right, the content did make it easier. As I said, had he been writing sunshine and rainbows, they likely would have warned him that he needs to get permission first.

This? No second chance.

9. goalmouth

Check the comics page of a typical big daily. You'll find all that and more.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'll be sure to look for the link to the C*nt Puncher right next to this week's Jumble.

11. goalmouth

My larger points stand. And I've seen plenty of guest editorials in papers over the years from some authors whose work wouldn't be permitted in family newsprint.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The C*nt Puncher was actually one of the better story arcs in The Family Circus a few years back.

Draft saved Draft deleted