1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kremlin Inc - From the New Yorker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Very interesting story in last week's New Yorker- since Putin has been in charge 13 reporters have been murdered - all reporters that have written unfavorble things about Putin.

http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/070129fa_fact_specter

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Vlad Putin is Dick Cheney's wet dream

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Great story. Good issue. Included a Tiki Barber story that was quite good, even if it included a Details-like shirtless photo.

4. Boom_70

yes - it was a good issue . even had a few cartoons that I understood. Tiki article was good . Picture was a little much. Interesting little tidbit on Tiki giving female reporter a big hug at his locker while press was waiting to do post game interview with him.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And wonder why Kraft was reticent to ask for the ring back.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Now that's funny. The article was good. So was Tiki and Sedaris's article. One of the better New Yorkers in the last few months.
    The Tiki article reminded me of something else though. Describing his routine, maybe Inside the NFL did a piece on him that followed him around and went into detail and him and his brother's radio show. I kinda wonder if it wasn't some sort of media day for Barber where he the press follow him around.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I honestly don't see why there is shock about this. Since Yeltsin, you may as well have had a red flag flying over the Kremlin again. Russia has been back to a one party system since little Vladimir took over.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Yes, another solid TNY ... and perhaps the best during this short year.

I haven't finished the Kremlin piece, but I've enjoyed what I have read. Nothing curious about what's happening, just unnerving.

The Barber piece was enjoyable. I enjoyed Gifford's take on things. Certainly better than Gopnik's piece on the NFL a few weeks back.

Martin's shout about 72 virgins was good for a few laughs. ... Sedaris' piece on birds reminded me why I like to write about life. ... "One Cell" was a very well-paced short story, the kind I would like to be able to write. ... And, from Talk of the Town, I really like those Naked Brothers. (Why do I think my kids will turn out like that years down the road? But feet on the dinner table? No way.)

Also, would anybody be interested in a weekly thread discussing The New Yorker? Seems like a few folks read regularly enough.

9. Boom_70

Seems like there is almost a weekly discussion on some story that appears.

I loved the cartoon this week of smug business man leaving building with wheel barrow full of money bags and board of directors close behind.

The caption - "Wait --you forgot your back dated stock options"

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And Dim Son can look into Putin's eyes and see his soul.

Draft saved Draft deleted