1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kramer and Newman should've tried the Phoenix-to-LA route

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

God forbid you folks can't have your plastic straws! Environment be damned, I want my plastic straws and my crappy light bulbs, too!

Home - The Last Plastic Straw

500 million straws are used and discarded every day in the United States alone. That’s 175 Billion a year filtering into landfills (environment) and littering our waterways and oceans.

lakefront likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The lawyer I’m sleeping with assures me I’m good. Then she told me to go take out the garbage.

wicked, Vombatus and playthrough like this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It used to be that I could go to a self-service machine, feed it my bottles and cans and get a voucher I could redeem inside the nearby supermarket. Now I must go to a kiosk, separate my recyclables and wait for a clerk to collect some personal information and write me a voucher. It's just not worth it any more.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I agree with this....

...but not this. Dr Pepper (no period) is so much better than Pibb.

Around here, I don't know about other places, but they have "Pibb Xtra" now. The label has "cinnamon cherry soda" on the label in small print. I don't taste the cinnamon, though. If you go to a store that has a fountain, the label will read "Mr Pibb" sometimes and "Pibb Xtra" others and I'm not 100-percent certain if the two are the same or different.

The proper pecking order is
    Real sugar Dr Pepper>Dr Pepper>Mr Pibb>The Fizzicist (Kroger's cane sugar knockoff, which I argue should be called "The Fizzician")>Dr. Thunder (Walmart)>Pibb Xtra

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I denounce this.
    I fucking denounce it.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The "500 million straws" thing has been proven, if not outright false, then murky as a mud puddle at best. It was made up by a 9-year-old for a class project, somehow picked up by environmental groups, and then repeated by major media outlets that never fact-checked it.

That anti-straw movement? It's all based on one 9-year-old's suspect statistic

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good Tebow, it's just like Trump's tale about Canadians crossing the border on scuffed sneakers.[/crossthread] [/bluefont]

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mr. Pibb. He's not one of those "Doctor" sodas, putting on airs and flashing around his Ivy League diploma. Mr. Pibb earns his paycheck.

expendable likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK cool. Let's go with 100M...Are you OK with 100M plastic straws degrading for decades in the environment, just because you don't want to use a paper one?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    service_gamer and lakefront like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever even seen a paper straw but I've heard they kinda suck (no pun intended). The reusable metal ones might have their own issues in terms of cleanliness. So, yes, plastic is the way to go.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Dude didn’t even get his degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted