1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Krakauer's Pat Tillman book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 11, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here. I finished it last night.

The reporting on the war(s) is great, but to me a lot of the stuff about Tillman prior to his joining the Army read a little fanboy to me. Maybe it's just my cynical sportswriter's take the descriptions of his high school, college and NFL accomplishments.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I thought that too .. but it was tempered for me by the fact that he didn't sugarcoat Tillman's juvenile legal issues.

3. Quite simply a spectacular read ...

4. baskethead

baskethead Member

Just finished this this weekend. As I've felt about all his books, I thought it was awesome. I actually got more out of the history of Afghanastan, the conflict, etc., than I did out of the Tillman story, maybe because I'd already read his mother's book and so many other things about him, but didn't know as much as I maybe should have about the history of conflict in that part of the world. Similar to Under the Banner of Heaven in that I got more out of the history of Mormonism, etc., than I did out of the crime part of the book. Both great books.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm halfway through now and enjoying it but I won't put the great label on it yet. Bookmarks had a review of it in the recent issue and it included excerpts from other reviews. The overall review "score" wasn't as glowing as I would have expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted