1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Krakauer's Pat Tillman book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 11, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks for the link to the magazine pieces. I read the Into Thin Air Book but never the original article.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Just purchased this on my iPhone kindle and can't wait to start reading it.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just got a 30 percent off coupon for this book from my Borders rewards card ... will be picking it up tomorrow. Might throw Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" in there as well at 40 percent off.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Got it on my Kindle yesterday- $13 - did not have to leave my office - loaded in 5 minutes - So far, a great read.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Thanks for the links, OHB and Boom. I look forward to reading these, if I haven't already. Like someone else said, I had Into Thin Air on the shelf for a little while, and once I started it I was done in about 2 days. Definitely not more than 350 pages. And I need to pick up some of his other works ASAP.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I finished it last night. The reporting that is in it is incedible, I am suprised at the detail that he gets.

It was much more than just the story of Tillman.

At a time when there is debate in Canada on whether we should be in Afghanistan the book sure makes a compelling case that the clusterfuck over there is pretty much ungovernable.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Got the last copy at my local Costco today. I've been a huge fan of Krakauer for years, and I can't wait to dig into it this weekend.

8. sportsguydave

This will be my first purchase this weekend... yay payday!! Looking forward to reading it.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Krakauer dismantles that theory. The original guy who put forth the idea that something might not be right wasn't aware of the type of weapon that killed Tillman. The description of his death, with all the details, is tough to read.

10. sportsguydave

Bought it and read it today. Awesome book. I can see why some of our righty friends are fretting about it. The prior administration doesn't come off smelling too well.

But Krakauer spreads the blame around quite a bit. Anyone who can call out Ann Coulter and Jimmy Carter in the same chapter is doing pretty well ... He calls out the Carter administration and basically says they invited the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Interesting theory.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell if he was "calling out" Carter for suckering the USSR into Afghanistan or crediting him for it.

Either way, I'm halfway through this book. I'm flying through it.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The more I read this book, the more disgusted I am with the previous administration.

Draft saved Draft deleted