1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Krakauer's Pat Tillman book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 11, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

YGBFKM Guest

I rarely read authors, choosing books instead by the subject matter. However, I'll pick this book up not only because I'm fascinated by the mind-set of someone like Pat Tillman, but also because I've been impressed by Krakauer previously. Into the Wild was very good, and Under the Banner of Heaven was great.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Krakauer writes it, I'm reading it.

I wish he'd do some magazine work again. But as he said in that interview, he prefers focusing on just one project.
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Counting the minutes till Tuesday. Hope it will be on Kindle.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if you walk into Borders tomorrow and find it. Usually they have stuff out the weekend before the official release.
  6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I will read it. Hope Tillman's brother didn't have much to do with it.
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That it will include Tillman's letters and diary entries I'm sure will be newsworthy.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Krakauer ... just recently re-read Into Thin Air (and I rarely re-read books) and finally read Into the Wild (I've loved the movie since it came out, but never read the book until last month ... the movie actually makes a great companion piece to the book).

I've considered buying Under the Banner of Heaven, even though the subject doesn't hold much fascination for me, but I'll have to put that off now ... The Tillman book is definitely my next Krakauer book.
  10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'm looking forward to reading it as well. I'll probably check at Borders later.

And I hope to God the entire Tillman family was heavily involved in the book. They know the truth of what happened to their son, and it makes them mad as hell. As it should. The people who exploited Pat to beat their wardrum should be outed and scrutinized.

That why you're hoping Kevin isn't involved, Hondo? Truth hurts, huh?
  11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought the same thing about Under the Banner when a co-worker suggested it (after I mentioned I was reading Into the Wild), but his research into the history of the Mormon religion as a whole and the fundamentalists sects in particular, is both fascinating and horrifying. Combined with the true-crime stuff, it's one of the best books I've ever read.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just ordered this book, Amazon will have it to me by Tuesday.
Draft saved Draft deleted