1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Takes Buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, May 14, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In terms of the industry list of bitches hypersensitive to personal criticism . . . he's 'way up there.

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

But even before blogs, such work wasn't everywhere in newspapers/media; that's why it was something special and why Kornheiser was special. There's nothing about blogs that inherently prevent people from doing or appreciating work like this, and there's certainly an audience for such work, considering that a lot of popular, well-run blogs, spanning all topics, often publish pieces that are just as long and require just as much effort to produce. It's just that they are outnumbered by the numerous crappy blogs. Readers still appreciate work like this; you just have to work harder to make them aware that such work exists because there's a lot more competition for their attention.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kornheiser is one of many big-time columnists who is one of the most talented around, but hasn't written anything of substance (which he would be the first to admit) in quite some time...

His books are all brilliant. Pumping Irony is fantastic.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He was one influence on me growing up. It was a privilige waking up every morning and reading the sports page before going to school. I looked forward to Tuesdays so that I could read his column. He was as good as anyone, and later helped me out in college for a project. I'll always appreciate that.

His work is not even a shadow of what it once was, and he's become a thin-skinned prima donna who has bought into all the hype around him. It's a shame, because for a long time he was one of the greats in the business. But while he gave lip service to it, he stopped caring about newspapers a long time ago.

5. Mizzougrad96

When I was in college and for a couple years afterwards, TK was my favorite columnist. His Sunday syndicated column was always outstanding and almost always made me laugh...

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You mean like First and 10, Four Downs, Around the Horn and every other contrived show/segment with two or more writers arguing that ESPN and other media have tried to force on us since the PTI model was created?

As Buck said, the Wilbon/Kornheiser dynamic is what makes PTI work so well. It's been created over the course of two decades-plus as friends and co-workers, and it can't be replicated just by taking two guys and telling them to argue opposite view points.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

PTI works as a news vehicle, as commentary, as "entertainment" in the loosest sense.

The other shows you mentioned are shite, more skirt lifting for the tourists and mouth-breathers.

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

When I was working at my first journalism job about a dozen years ago, at a 10K-circ daily in a distant D.C. suburb, I started to read (and enjoy) the Washington Post. I admired Tony's columns. They were the type of thing I wanted to do, the reason I had left a previous career in investment banking. He played for (and got) laughs most of the time, but also had other gears he could tap.

At one point I sent Tony a bunch of my columns. I appended a letter saying much of what I just said above. I'm not sure what I hoped might happen. But I did not think that he would do what he did: Call me at my podunk paper to talk about the art and practice of writing a sports column.

He didn't tell me anything that dramatic or inspirational in our 5-10 minute chat, but that wasn't what stuck with me. (The only specific advice I remember is that he suggested I lay off the "I" for a while, because I was new and *loved* the first-person. I liked that he had the self-awareness to acknowledge that by that point in his career many of his columns were first-person riffs. He said something like, "This might sound strange coming from me, but stop with the 'I.'" And as an exercise, I completely eliminated the first person for six months.)

I was most impressed and thankful for the simple fact that he took the time to call a novice sportswriter from a nothing paper. So I'll always wish Mr. Tony nothing but the best.

9. Mizzougrad96

Did his radio show twice. The first time, one of the producers called me and I was just ecstatic. As it turned out, TK was out that day and I was on with Wingo. To say I was disappointed would be a massive understatement.

The second time they called me, I joked with one of the producers about what happened the first time and I asked if I was going to be on with Tony or someone else. I told them I would do it regardless, but I was curious since I grew up as such a fan of Tony's.

They relayed the story to Tony, who thought it was hilarious and told it on the air. When I told him that I grew up reading him, instead of being flattered, he started ranting about how old he was when writers start saying they read him growing up.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

TK: (Newspapers) aren't dying, they're dead."

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/05/kornheiser-newspapers-arent-dying.html

11. Mizzougrad96

When he's right, he's right... :(

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Funny how he came to that realization right as he was leaving the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted