1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Rips Mike Wise On-Air, Wise Basically Calls Tony A Bitter Sell-Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

God, what a great show.

The "Kid" Telander.

I remember an episode where they let Billy Corrigan of the Smashing Pumpkins host. Fantastic stuff.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Holy Christ! You quoted me without throwing out an awful attempt at humor. Are you sober or something?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

another vote for PTI over ATH. as a long-ago former journo i view it like this. i appreciate PTI as two decent and insightful sports writers distilling their arguments on each topic down to 90 seconds. ATH is a bunch of sports columnists who are dinosaurs yelling as loudly as possible.

we need a poll on this

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I understand that people like one over the other. Fine. Great.

But jesus, the ATH people do not yell as loudly as possible. Leo, are you getting shows mixed up? Because the ATH guys and gals rarely elevate their voices.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

To me, it's not about the level of their voices. It's about the intelligence/respect factor. The guys on PTI are two of the most intelligent/respected guys in the biz. Most of the guys on ATH...eh...not so much. I do like Plaschke and Bob Ryan, but Mariotti and Paige ruin that show for me.

I also like the two-person format vs. the four-person format.

But Xan's right. Just a matter of opinion.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Leave it to the WWL to steal a great idea and
    consistently stock it with 75% hacks.

7. Songbird

Kornheiser and Wilbon might be intellectual studs of sports talks. But stepping into each other's answers mid-sentence is frustrating to a viewer who wants to listen to an entire sentence or thought uninterrupted. I understand that's what the whole "Pardon the Interruption" premise is all about. But it's kind of annoying.

I would say 90 percent of the answers on ATH are fairly thought out and intelligent; sometimes the guys/gals will just riff and have fun. A lot of the answers are funny. Like Kornheiser, Marriotti is smug sometimes, but even he gets it right sometimes. Adande, Smith, McMullen, Blackistone, et al, are terrific contestants, too. And, of course, Reali is top-shelf.

I'm pretty sure that if there were a poll here, PTI would get 75 percent of the vote.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Easy enough to do.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That word right there is why ATH is a joke.

10. Songbird

So Kornheiser and Wilbon have better sports chatter than McMullen, Blackistone, Page, etc., because they're in a 1-on-1 format?

Take away the formats of the shows, and it's still just sports chatter.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That, and they've known each other for decades. It's the way they talk, not a forced TV format.

The asshole population on Around The Horn is just waaaaaay too high for me.

12. Songbird

There's something that feels too fake and forced about PTI.

Draft saved Draft deleted