1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Rips Mike Wise On-Air, Wise Basically Calls Tony A Bitter Sell-Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

On PTI, it's two guys interacting. On ATH, it's monologues graded by a nerdnik

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

With much better lighting and in HD.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The 4 "contestants" on ATH are doing the exact same thing as the 2 bar chatters of PTI. I also enjoy "5 good minutes" when the right guest appears for those 5 minutes.

4. satchmo

satchmo Member

Re: Kornheiser Rips Mike Wise On-Air, Wise Basically Calls Tony A Bitter Sell-Ou

They both make me nostalgic for Sports Reporters back when Schaap was the host. May be showing my youth, but I used to get up with my dad early on Sundays just to watch it. And, truth be told, that probably had as much to do with my decision to be a sports reporter as much as anything else. All the dancing around on ATH and PTI and E:60 seems like a generation-loss version of those old Sports Reporters.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The prevailing SR with endless pontificating by the clownshow of Loopy and The Elf would make one nostalgic for just about anything. Rhoden doesn't help in the least, of course. I don't know how Bob Ryan can stand the company.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

OK, now I'm trying to recall who the early panelists were -- and if they were different and better than Loopy and Albom and Phil N. DeBlanc.

But screw that. Gimme your "dream team" panel for The Sports Reporters. Three sports journalists, past or present, living or dead, who in combo would make for a dynamite Sunday morning chinwag. We'll assume that Schaap is the host.

I'd like to see (in their primes for the non-actives) Jim Murray, John Schulian and Randy Galloway. (Sorry, I'd find Howard Cosell unbearable.)

Your turn:

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

1. Jim Murray
    2. Dan Jenkins
    3. John Schulian

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rick Telander
    Bill Jauss
    Bill Gleason

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Then Dick Schaap's got to yield to Ben Bentley.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

97% of what you get from Loopy is Sunday-column regurgitation, Albom adds zero in this format, and Rhoden remains a one-trick pony, now and forever. Problem is that Loopy
    doesn't want anyone to appear who will tell him he's full of shit to his face.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Today's show was OK. They opened with Belichick's 4th-down call, and Lupica, like fingernails on the chalkboard, whined, "When did 29 become the new 70?" while not convincing me of anything with the rest of his argument.

He's always been my least favorite, yet his parting shot today wasn't so bad.

I remember when Ryan came aboard, with his awkward mustache and looking uncomfortable like he was sitting on Macaroni Middler, and his answers were clunky 98 percent of the time. But he's become one of the more proficient guys the last 5 years because he's comfortable.

Most times I enjoy Albom.

Not sure why they don't invite Michael Smith or Kevin Blackistone. Always enjoy their perspectives.

12. That is correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted