1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Rips Mike Wise On-Air, Wise Basically Calls Tony A Bitter Sell-Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I believe it came from an interview Steinberg did with Friedgen a couple years ago. He asked the coach something about blogs and Friedgen replied something to the effect of, "I've never even heard of a bog."

But yes, the Bog is one of my go-to reads every day. Very well done.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

My understanding is that Steinz was on his final days as the Maryland beat reporter and was explaining to the Fridge that he was moving aside to focus full-time on a blog and Ralph said he had no idea what a "bog" even was.

Could be a total fabrication. But it makes for a good story.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When you get paid as much as TK did to do as little as he did during his final decade or so at the WP, there's going to be a lot of jealously and bitterness.

I like both parties, but Wise comes across pretty whiny. TK is, of course, always pretty whiny, but that's always been part of his schtick and charm.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

TK mentioned a WP columnist to start his show. But it wasn't Wise. He praised Courtland Milloy's column instead. Psych.

He also praised Whitlock's columns today and name-dropped a bunch of usual suspects (LeBatard, etc.) to open his show.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Someone above says that Wise should be careful to avoid irritating John Canzano ............ why would anyone care?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Praising craven U shills like DLB is no way to gain style points among the
    cognescenti.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think it was Tony's way of damning Wise with faint praise.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me how people will indulge one person in a group who happens to behave that way -- indulge and maybe even enjoy, or at least find amusing -- while the very same behavior would get another person expelled from the group. Kornheiser is a good example of the former, along with Larry David and a guy I know in particular in my own li'l world. People go along with his rants and pet peeves and tantrums and unwritten rules for others' behavior. Yet they wouldn't tolerate it from most others.

Head-scratching, is what it is. What's the knack for getting away with that sort of schtick? Seems like quite a talent in some mysterious way.

Who wouldn't like to act like a six-year-old and have people find it amusing and charming? Seriously.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To quote Mr. Tony from this week: "We forgive anything for smart and funny."

Kornheiser is smart, he's funny, and the sort of thin-skinned neediness is a big part of his schtick. It's amusing, so he can do it. Mike Wise doesn't fare as well in that regard.

Worth noting: I listened to Tony's rants on this, and I sincerely doubt anyone outside the Post knew these were shots at Wise. Wise did not do himself any favors by responding the way he did.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I remember the days when I thought Tony Kornheiser was good.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

From about 1977-1985, Tony was about the best sportswriter extant. He can still be good, but hell, it's his sixth job now.
    PS: Doesn't everyone have a friend or acquaintance they like but know can also be an enormous pain in the ass? It's just a fact of human existence.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nope.

I am that friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted