1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Rips Mike Wise On-Air, Wise Basically Calls Tony A Bitter Sell-Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bad on both sides. But what is Wise talking about when he defends "the good people" at the Post when it seems he's just reacting to TK's criticism of himself?

Also, Wise better be careful if he's lobbing bombs related to a team owner also owning the radio station where a sportswriter "moonlights." Someday a) Snyder might buy the station he works for, or b) John Canzano might not appreciate that point out in Portland.

I thought TK hurt his newspaper credibility when he stopped working hard as a sportswriter, cutting back his schedule, refusing to travel and so on. Didn't know that it was intact until Snyder bought a radio station.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, Kornheiser did say that in '91 Rypien "had an unbelievable sort of anti-Redskin year." Apparently, age has robbed him of his memories of that '87 championship team, which could not run consistently, but in the playoffs they seemed to be able to convert a third down whenever they wanted because the line gave Williams all day to throw and he had great receivers. Williams throwing four touchdown passes in the second quarter of the Super Bowl that year probably slipped his mind, too.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i like the memento reference. good movie.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

And Xan, what happened after he realized the dead body was his fault? Did he do something to make sure he never remembered?

I can't remember!

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They might not have been able to run "consistently", but the overall regular-season rushing stats were more than satisfactory.

Biggest Super Bowl underdog cinch in history.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . otherwise, good for Wise. Impossible to fade that move.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hate pissing matches with a passion. They don't reflect well on anybody involved.

That said, Mike Wise is coming across to me as being somewhat thin-skinned. That doesn't excuse Kornheiser at all, but if I were him, I'd take anything Tony said with a grain of salt, preferrably with a margarita.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What an unfortunate exchange.
    Many are coming to Mike Wise's defense, and it's understandable given the volley.
    But, truth is, Mike Wise spends four hours a day on the radio and his columns are not as good.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

For the record, Tony Kornheiser started on WTEM the day they fired up the transmitter for the station. That was in the early 1990s (I think it was 1992.). Back then it was 570 AM and only later did that station move to 980 AM under the ownership of Clear Channel. Dan Snyder did not buy WTEM - - then to change the name to ESPN-980 - - until about a couple years ago.

Tony Kornheiser worked at that radio station and drew great ratings in DC radio there for years before any of "Dan Snyder's money" was involved.

I have no idea if any of Dan Snyder's money is behind anything or anyone related to PTI.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

BOGS!!!!!

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nope, it's called the Bog and it is (msot always) as well done as anything any paper is doing online.
    Not sure who or how they came up with that name but I love it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They won with the pass. Even most of Smith's record-breaking Super Bowl numbers came after the result had been decided.

Draft saved Draft deleted