1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser on MNF

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Still a Bulls fan, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Kornheiser was terrible.  To start with, he didn't know football, and he wasn't as funny as he is on PTI.  A few points I caught:

-He compared Johnson's winning percentage as a starter to that of pitcher Greg Maddox saying that it is really impressive for a QB to have the same winning percentage as a future hall-of-fame pitcher.  Maybe he could have done his homework and found some QBs with similar records to Johnson so that it would acctually make sense to compare.

-He pointed out how disappointing Gallery was ("He was a 2nd or 3rd pick, right?") to which Theisman mentioned how Gallery had to switch positions going into the pros and is now going back to his natural position.

-He made fun of Vikings' backup QB McMahon for his terrible stats.  ("Well, we can safely say he won't be a top fantasy pick anytime soon, eh?")  Come, on, how can you go that crazy over a BACKUP QB?!

-He kept saying that the Raiders offensive coordinator wouldn't be able to transition back into football after 7 years leading a bed-and-breakfast, even getting into an arguement with Theisman over how his transition back compares with Gibbs'.

I can't say I'm looking forward to future Monday Nights.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Is it just me, or does he seem a little nervous to you?

EDIT: And this is just a preseason game. Imagine how nervous he'll be when it's the real deal.

3. Depends.  This is his first comentating gig period, so after 4 games, he will probably have better composure.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

TK does sound a little nervous. Wilbon is going to roast him on Tuesday.

Tirico sucks. Well he doesn't suck, it just doesn't seem to be his thing.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That was weird to watch the Silvio Dante interview. He was wearing a bandanna and sunglasses. I guarantee Tony wouldn't stand for that shit at the Bing.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Don't mean to threadjack, but that Tavaris Jackson guy for the Vikings is pretty damn good.

7. Yes, just what MNF needs: three hours of a smirky kid doing a Dick Vitale impression, who memorized the football almanac but can't ever seem to add anything to the conversation.

As for Kornheiser, I hate to say it but I'm getting a Dennis Miller vibe -- he seems more interested with what's happening in the booth than what's happening on the field. He's been boring, obvious, and worst of all, slow to the draw -- a viewer set him up with a question about team nicknames (Purple People Eaters) that Tony -- hired as the comic relief -- passed to the two suits. He's gotten one laugh from me: claiming He Hate Me played for Barcelona of the XFL.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Wow, TK looked pissed just then.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Bingo.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

11. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Does it really matter.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

AP writer gives Mr. Tony a thumbs-up:

By DOUGLAS J. ROWE
    AP Entertainment Writer
    Listen up! Tony Kornheiser had to be better than the short-lived sitcom loosely based on his life.

And he was. Much better. And that’s even putting aside such a low standard as the Washington Post columnist and ESPN personality’s 2004 show “Listen Up.”

Kornheiser joined Mike Tirico and Joe Theismann in the booth for “Monday Night Football,” which moved to ESPN this season after 3 1/2 decades on ABC.

Because of the ill-fated Dennis Miller Experiment a few years ago, many ears were cocked to wiseacre Kornheiser, who once wondered how Jackonville snagged the Super Bowl, asking: “What, Tuscaloosa was booked?” ...

Draft saved Draft deleted