1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser on Eli Manning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Oct 16, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

folks like to hit on eli, saying if his last name wasn't manning, he'd be just a guy. what a crock. i'd argue that because his last name IS manning, he's scrutinized above and beyond most other qb's. :eek: :eek: :eek:

he can't win over some people. but eli is darn good and getting better. players, especially qb's, do get better, you know.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The trade is part of it, too. So is the fact that the Chargers used those picks so well.

The Giants could have stayed put and drafted Roethlisberger, who has been more successful and is still playing better this season. That is another reason he takes so much heat.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And every other team had five + rounds with which to grab Tom Brady... Hindsight is 20/20.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, McNabb to the HOF is laughable.

This season, Peyton and Brady are 1 and 1A. Usually, Peyton edges him.

5. Fixed.

I don't like Vick. He is a running QB, but when was among the 10 best QBs in the NFL. Compare the Falcons with and without Vick.

The list was off the top of my head in no real particular order - except maybe the first three.
    McNair is on the downside of his career. For a current QB he's pretty damn good.

The order is debatable ...
    Pallister, Call it joke, but of the first nine guys there, none of them would be supplanted by Eli.

Your statement that Eli is "easily" one of the top 10 QB's in the NFL is a shade over the top. I compiled the list to support that.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What makes Mcnair still pretty damn good?
    Mcnair won't even sniff the hall of fame.
    THere is Brady and Manning, Palmer 3rd and a fight for 4th.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't think the Giants were going to draft Roethlisberger, it was Rivers or Manning. Of the 2 I'd take Manning.

As far as HOF for B grade QBs like McNabb and McNair, Dave Krieg goes in first.
    Among the league's all-time top 50
    Pass attempts: 10
    Completions: 11
    Passing yards: 12
    Passing TDs: 10,

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said it was fair criticism, just that those are factors in the scrutiny he receives. But I do remember people at the time saying that the Giants gave up too much.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Someone should go tell Dungy that Peyton is the third best quarterback in the NFL. I bet he has no idea.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have heard that Shuler knew only one-third of the playbook at Tennessee. What he accomplished --- good, but always coming up short in a couple of games --- he did on pure athletic ability.

How can all this advance scouting miss one obvious fact: This guy does not have the mental capability to be an NFL quarterback.

Scoring bad on the Wonderlic is one thing. Not knowing two-third of a playbook is pretty damaging tangible evidence.

11. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/McNaSt00.htm

Though I appreciate McNair because he was tough. He seldom missed games and played hurt. And he threw less interceptions than Brett Favre.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Now he's a US Representative from N.C.

And I'm proud to be an American...

Draft saved Draft deleted