1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser on Eli Manning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Oct 16, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Man, I really doubt that. I watched Rivers in college and marveled at that arm. He could make the toughest throws from the day he took the field for N.C. State.

Eli? He's always looked mechanical, preprogrammed, to me.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Rivers will never be the QB Eli will be. Jeff George "made all the throws", too.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just not against Maryland.

Sorry, I only posted that for my boy Flying Headbutt.

4. Easily?
    You might want to revise that statement.

Off the top of my head:
    1. Tom Brady, Future HoF'er
    2. Brett Favre, (Somewhere John Madden just came in his Packers boxer shorts!) ... Future HoF'er
    3. Peyton Manning, Future HoF'er
    4. Big Ben Roethlisberger, Good start on potential HoF'er
    5. Donovan McNabb, Future HoF'er
    6. Steve McNair, Future HoF'er
    7. Carson Palmer, Pretty good for his career
    8. Drew Brees, Nice start to his career
    9. Tony Romo, The Cowboys hafe only one loss.
    10. Vince Young, Electric player
    Mike Vick would be on this list if he were playing.
    The top eight or nine are pretty hard to argue, damn near indefensible if you are trying to slip Eli's name in.
    Not on this list: Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, and Trent Green
    Eli might be considered a Top 10 QB, but he could just as "easily" be labeled a top 20 QB in the NFL.

I think to say "Easily a Top 10 QB" is an overstatement.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Vince Young is not better. Sorry.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that's not a fair comparison. George was a gigantic pain in the ass who refused to learn from anybody. He sabotaged his own career over and over again by being a prick or an idiot, depending on who you ask.

Is there any indication at all that Rivers has similar issues? That sure doesn't sound like what I've heard about him.

Eli Manning is borderline to the top 10, though I agree with the other poster that I wouldn't put Vince Young ahead of him either. I just don't see what potential he has that is going to push him past some of the guys ahead of him on the list.

Palmer has great talent, too. So does Roethlisberger. I'm trying to stick to guys in a similar age range. Let's take the guy who is clearly the lesser of those two. What does Eli Manning have that Ben Roethlisberger lacks?

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

When all is said and done, Eli's career will be better than Rivers. I'm just not sure by how much.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

This is a joke, right?

Peyton No. 3? After Favre? OK.

Roethlisberger is not the fourth-best QB in the league, although I'm sure your assesment of "Big Ben" is totally objective.

At this point, McNair is not even the sixth-best QB in the four-team AFC North, and he is not and never has been a HOF'er.

Drew Brees has had a couple of nice seasons, but has been erratic over the course of his career (yes, just as erratic as Eli).

Has Romo even started a full season's worth of games? He's got the most potential on this list, but he's still got something to prove.

Vince Young can be an electric player, but he's still got a long way to go. Like Romo, he has lots of upside, but it's early.

Michael Vick? Anyone who puts him in a list of Top 10 QBs hasn't been paying attention to football for the last few years.

I think Rivers will be better than George, just not as good as Eli.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Guy who's being dissed on that list is Palmer, who will show to far greater advantage if/when Bungles ever assemble anything resembling a defense with players who are capable of staying off the police blotter.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's what I asked after seeing that, too.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Manning anywhere below second is too low. Palmer anywhere below third is too low.

Who is the 4th-best QB in the NFL? I would've thought Brees before the season, but he has taken a huge step backward. Not sure I'd put Roethlisberger there, either. I'd put both ahead of Manning, but not sure about the No. 4 spot. There really is a big gap after Palmer.

And yes, Brees has been erratic. But he has had that one season in which he put it all together, last season. Manning hasn't done yet. Maybe he is on the way this year, but it's early.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Donovan McNabb is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category. No HOF.

The Giants are the 2nd ranked offense in the NFC this season, don't hate on Eli.

Draft saved Draft deleted