1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser - just so stoopid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 30, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

In other words, you have no answer.

Thry this: Are the wins in WAR different from a pitcher's wins?

2. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Yes, they are different. Wins, as currently determined on stat sheets for players, are considered to be 100% the responsibility of the pitcher. WAR proportions them out to different positions based on their contributions.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was my whole point of this thread.

Quality starts aren't a sabermetic stat.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Saber babble.

But not as bad as Rick trying to tell me that a win is not a win.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The wins in WAR are representing the things a player has individually done to contribute to the number of times his team defeats another team in a competitive baseball game.

The wins in a pitcher's wins are representing the times a pitcher starts the game, goes at least five innings, leaves the game with the lead and the opposing team never ties the game after he leaves; plus the number of times he starts the game, pitches at least five innings, leaves the game at the end of the inning and his team is tied or losing, and they take a lead they never relinquish in the next half-inning before another pitcher has pitched, plus the number of times the pitcher relieves with his team tied or losing is the most recent pitcher when they take the lead for the final time, plus the number of times a pitcher pitches in a game his team wins where the starter did not go five innings and that pitcher is named most effective by the official scorer.

6. RickStain

Are you telling me my rings are not rings?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Quaity starts is BS, too. 3 ER in 6 inn. is a 4.50 ERA. Not quality.

8. RickStain

How can you understand something called a "Quality Star" is not automatically quality, but something called a "Win" is not the same as a win.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your rings are definitely rings because contrived bullshit stats -- WAR, VORP, DORK --are your stock in trade.

10. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

True or false: a baseball team winning a game is 100% dependent on the pitcher.

11. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I feel like you're turning this discussion into an ill-conceived Sesame Street segment: 'Kids, sometimes words can be the same, but also different.'

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would say at least 75%.

Draft saved Draft deleted