1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser - just so stoopid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 30, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

On his PTI podcast yesterday, Kornheiser and Wilbon championed the "wins" stat for the Cy Young award... there is no beating that dead horse, dinosaurs will never change, they eventually just become extinct.

But then Kornheiser talks about the 'sabermetric statistics, like Quality Starts.."

Really? Even in 2010, you are so dense, that you call Quality Start a 'sabermetric statistic'?

It is really amazing how woefully lacking in knowledge these guys can be.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wilbon was worse.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wilbon was wild-eyed idiotic talking about 'wins'. Its funny, you can hear the blood boiling.

But for Kornheiser to call 'quality starts' a sabermetric stat.... I mean, how "out of it" can you show yourself to be?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Until quality starts, WHIP and WAR win the division, there will always be a good argument for wins being a the Ace of Spades in the Cy discussion.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Christ, banging head on the wall.

Wins are team stats, not individual. It really isn't that hard to understand.

6. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Which is why shitty, 20-win pitchers are a dime a dozen.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nice straw man.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have two questions:

Have WE beat this dead horse about wins or saberstats long enough?
    Why does anyone waste their time listening to Kornheiser and Wilbon or any of the ESPN shoutfests? I never did get it.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Correct on both points.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Hope your head isn't hurting too much.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

here's my question about the a.l. cy young race: i know many voters would never vote for a pitcher as mvp "because they have the 'cy young' award. does that mean in their mind the "cy" should go to the other mvp (most valuable pitcher)? ??? ??? ???

by the way, i'd have no issue if hernandez wins. his stats other than wins/losses are insane. but i also can't take issue with the "geezers" who believe won/loss record should be heavily weighted, along with
    team success.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can. The award is supposed to go to the best pitcher, not the good pitcher on the best team.

Draft saved Draft deleted