1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Back On Radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 23, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I had a chance to listen to WPR when I was in D.C. for a family reunion this past summer. I agree with Wicked that it tries to be NPR lite, but it isn't. What I did like was that they replay the Nats' game late at night. The Nats were in San Diego for a series, so my grandpa and me were screwed from going to see them. So we caught the last two innings of the game live and the post-game, and then they replayed it again! That was pretty sweet.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think the concept is really good, in having a news/talk show that isn't necessarily so partisan driven. They shook up the morning show there, putting a fairly entertaining guy in that shift, to precede Kornheiser. But the few times I've tuned it I haven't been captivated.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And it's a weird time slot, too. Start at 8:30? Might as well start at 8.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Abe's kid is under contract with WTEM. No way he's allowed to go cross-town -- would the Post even shell out the coin?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's not really Abe's kid. They are distant cousins of some sort, but that's it. And yeah, he's in a contract with Clear Channel. He will continue to compete with that slot, but will not be on the same show.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Interesting detail from WaPo article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/23/AR2007012300829.html

Also unclear is Kornheiser's status as a Post columnist. Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, the newspaper's assistant managing editor for sports, said yesterday: "We haven't talked to him about writing again for The Post. Now that [his radio negotiations] are over, we'll talk to him about what's next."

8. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

If this is in fact available via the 'Net, this is a good thing. But didn't Mr. Tony leave his WTEM gig because of MNF? And if so, what's changed?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought he merely took a leave of absence from WTEM, but when I was down there that way in September, they were hyping Brian Mitchell taking the 9-noon slot.

I'm also guessing that his contract expired in the interim.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

For the past couple of years, I've not been able to remember what color to wear when riding my bike. Now I might be reminded.

And I doubt we'll have Andy Poly since he's probably under contract with another station.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WTEM is getting killed by Dan Snyder's fledgling radio empire. Snyder owns about 3 stations in the DC area which all broadcast the Foreskins' games. I beleive WTEM also stopped it's ESPN Radio package. Snyer also hired the former head of WTEM to be part of his management team for the Six Flags empire.

Wicked, I can't imagine anything worse than the John Thompson Show. If there's worse out there, I'd love to hear it just once.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have two words for you, heyabbott: Tony Mercurio.

Draft saved Draft deleted