1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koch Brothers Making Play for Tribune’s Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 21, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Will the Koch brothers end up with the Tribune Co.?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I also heard Aaron Kushner was making a play for Tribune. I don't know if I'd like that, strictly from the standpoint that he could essentially merge LA Times/OC Register into one gigantic publication and basically, in my opinion, undo all the good stuff he's done with the OCR.

Then I think about all the other Trib papers that might get the Kushner treatment (more pages, more content) and go why not... I realize it isn't a given he'd do the same thing to other Trib properties, but I can hope...
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

$115 billion? Oy.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not bad for a family business constantly hamstrung by tight government regulations.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the deal goes through, half of LA Times staff "may" quit.

I put that in the same category as the people who "may" move out of the country if their guy doesn't win the presidency.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

dear heaven let's hope this doesn't get political.
  7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Jobs, y'all.
    Newspapers folks should be thankful for anyone with deep pockets willing to invest in the business, for whatever reasons.
  8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And even so, if they did quit, there would be how many resumes sent in?

Hey, it's money invested in newspapers.
  9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I love how people are willing to just say, "Who cares if they make you write certain stories or kill others based on their politics and not on actual journalistic integrity, it's money in journalism?"

If the only way a newspaper can stay open is to sell its soul, then it shouldn't be open. There are plenty of investors who want to see real journalism. I find it hard to think the Koch brothers are in that group.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Unless we're talking about a job in Abu Dhabi, where you have to refer to the Persian Gulf as the Arabian Gulf, among other things. Lots of endorsements on this board for working at the English language paper there.

For example?

The funniest thong about all of this hand-wringing is that this is more of a return to the past, than some break from it.

Historically, newspapers had an editorial bias. They were owned by rich guys, looking to have a voice.

Look at the names of papers. They outright have/had terms like "Democrat" right in their name.
  11. While you have a point, you couldn't write "Republican," could you?

As for selling your soul, you support radical Muslims (according to your standards) by fixing their espresso machines.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At the very least I would wait until I was forced to write something or kill something else before I walked out the door. There's no shame in being open minded.

My former shop never wrote one word about its own layoffs, yet never hesitated to report on layoffs by other companies. Is that journalistic integrity?

When a paper gets beat on a story and then downplays it in its own publication (simply because the other guys broke it), is that journalistic integrity? I've seen it dozens of times.
Draft saved Draft deleted