1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe's Lakers v. LeBron's Cavs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Magic also didn't drive the lane with reckless abandon nearly as often as Jordan. I will say that Jordan once had 12 consecutive triple-doubles, and was able to do anything he wanted on the court if he wanted it hard enough. If the Bulls needed him to play center during his prime, I believe he would have been able to do it and do it well.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

If Magic in his prime went against Jordan in his prime in a 1 on 1 game pick up game, Jordan would shit on him.

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Don't get me wrong Doc, I'm giving Magic the edge on Jordan, but not by very much.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm not arguing who would win one-on-one. That's a different story. The NBA is played five-on-five.

5. Big Game

Big Game Member

Exactly ... and let's not forget, the Lakers beat the Pistons for the title in 88 and swept through their first three series in 89, going into the Finals rematch with Detroit. Then, Riley lost his mind because the Lakers had a few extra days to wait because the Pistons were in a long series in the East, so he ran the Lakers hard in practice. Byron Scott went down with a torn hamstring before the series started and, Magic badly injured his hammy early in the series.

Magic could be you outside, inside, scoring, passing, rebounding, vocal leadership, leadership by example, he won in H.S., college, pros, international. He carried the Lakers to the NBA title as a freakin rookie, a point guard who started at center in the deciding game AT Philly and scored 45, grabbed 15 boards, dished out 7 assists. It kills me to put Jordan over him (just barely) but he did win 6 titles and was the most dominant player of his era, so he's gotta get the nod. But, Magic could easily be 1A.

6. Chuck~Taylor

I thought we were talking about who was the better player?

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

We are -- the better NBA player. And again, NBA games aren't one-on-one.

You can't put up a triple double in a game of one-on-one.

8. Chuck~Taylor

We're not arguing who had the better team. We're talking about the better player. When Magic got double teamed, he kicked it out. When Jordan got double teamed, he dunked on their grills.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well put. Win or lose, if the Cavs so much as make the finals, that's an amazing accomplishment for LeBron. Even in the weaker Eastern Conference, it's a big deal simply because he's so far beyond his years already.

10. Big Game

Big Game Member

Jordan might very well have beaten Magic in a game of 1-on-1, but to say he'd shit on him? I don't think so.
    Magic would take the ball down low and was strong and quick enough to score against anyone (just ask McHale, Parish and Bird about that baby hook).

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

You can't determine the better player one-on-one. You just can't. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry. I will not argue this.

Tell me Jordan was better than Magic. Fine. But don't say it's because Jordan could take him one-on-one. Well, you can say it if you'd like, but it won't make a difference.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Magic's baby hook or Jordan's ridiculous hops and excellent defense? Ill take Jordan on every this one.

It's not everything. But it does say something. Magic relied more on his teammates. Jordan relied more on Jordan.

Draft saved Draft deleted