1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe's Lakers v. LeBron's Cavs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 1, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'd run 5 guys at him if that's what it took. I think he'll have a good game, but he just played at such an unimagineably high level last night, it's hard to believed it can be duplicated too often. I mean he wasn't missing ANYTHING.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd put Wilt before Russell... but I'd put Magic before Wilt.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Scary thing about Lebron is that he's just starting to get consistent on his outside jumper but with lots of room left for improvement there. Jordan didn't fully hone in his outside shot until he was a few years older than Lebron is now, after which he became truly unstoppable. If Lebron could ever get that outside J locked in the way Kobe's is, it is frightening how good he could be.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh... buh... buh... Kobe is the best (good luck in Toronto)...

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

LeBron is 22. That's why his jumper isn't that consistent. Kobe didn't have a grea tone at 22, and nor did Jordan. Few players do.

Confession: Wasn't around during the Wilt-Russell era, so I just go by what I read. On my 'best of all-time' list, (which is purely subjective, and yes, winning helps), Magic (also my favorite player of all-time) is 4th, Wilt 5th.

6. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Comparing LeBron's supporting cast to Kobe's is like comparing brown turds to green ones. They all stink.

At least Kobe has Lamar Odom, whom I'd want on my team under the right circumstances and with a certain set of personnel. Too bad neither of those things are in place in LA, where Kobe and Odom will never mesh.

Cleveland, however, doesn't have a soul that I'd want on my team. A couple of guys I'd settle for, but not one that I'd want. But they seem to work well with LeBron.

Green or brown, man. Take your pick.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

What about red? I think I need to see a doctor.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

thebiglead: I agree with you. LeBron is a freak. When you're as as big as the opponent's center and quicker than their guard, you're a freak of nature. If the jumper becomes consistent.............holy shit. And he's always thinking pass first. That's what's amazing about him.

buckweaver: Russell wasn't even the greatest Celtic of all time. Larry Bird is better than both in my eyes. Russell and Wilt played in a different time. Wilt was the only 7 footer at the time and his biggest nemesis was............6'9. Come on now. Yeah, Bird was a pretty bad 1 on 1 defender because of speed, but I still think he was better than both.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Chuck, that 6'9 center did pull 22 RPG in his career. Russell was one of the greatest Celtics around, Bird I would say is a close second. They are completely different players. If I had to pick a rivalry, it would be Bird vs Magic by far.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You're right he did. Hell he had game where he scored 30 and pulled down 40 boards. But would he do it against the players of today's game? Hell no. Larry Bird was friggin' jesus on the basketball court. Everytime I watch that guy on ESPN classic, I just smile at how he made everyone on the other team look like a fool.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Yea that sounds like a real problem.

I don't remember much of Bird but when I watch the few times he is on ESPN classic, I would say he was very sick to try to defend. That commercial with him and Magic of off this off that is so funny because when you watch old clips you realize how close to reality it was.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

He pulled 51 boards against the Syracuse Nationals. Too bad Wilt grabbed 4 more one season later and bested him for the all-time record. Russell was a rebounding machine, I don't think anyone will ever get that many boards in a season primarily due to player size growing and ability now, but Howard has the chance to get upwards of 20 a season.

Draft saved Draft deleted