1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe wants Jerry West to return as Lakers GM or he wants out of L.A.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 28, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'll try to look for it.
    I first saw it on SC and then I heard it on The Jim Rome Show.

Stephen A Smith asked him about Kobe's comments on Buss and Shaq interrupted him without finishing his question and said that he agreed with Kobe 100%.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Kobe is so full of shit. He may not have run Shaq out of town, but does he really expect anyone to believe that the mutual hatred between him and Shaq had nothing to do with Shaq getting traded? Shaq wanted that humongous extension largely because he was in a power struggle with Kobe, and Buss did the only logical thing by choosing to go with Kobe because he had far more good years left in him than Shaq did. Kobe was fine with that at the time, because he wanted to be the man and because he thought he didn't need Shaq in order to keep contending for championships. He didn't listen to the people inside and outside the organization who told him that if he and Shaq could just learn to tolerate each other, they could keep winning titles. Now, because he's finally figured out that it is kind of helpful to have a 350-pound monster dominating the paint after all, and that it's no fun being the star of a mediocre team, he wants to bolt on the Lakers. Kobe had a great thing going and he fucked it up because his ego was out of control. Now he wants to pretend that he had nothing to do with creating this mess. Fuck him.

Unless he gets traded to the Knicks, in which case I'm getting season tickets.

3. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

This is what happens when you have a meek pushover (Kupchak), an owner who's old and doesn't seem to give a fuck anymore (Jerry Buss), thus allowing his never played/never coached son to get his scavengar paws all over the team (Jim Buss).

As a Laker fan, am I happy that Kobe Bryant is doing this? No, not at all.
    But, putting myself in his place, I can understand it. Shaq validating it is just the icing on the cake and should tell everyone what's what.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

WWL has it:
    ESPN.com: Kobe Bryant fuming, demanding trade from Lakers

5. IU90

IU90 Member

Kobe with the Knicks is the NBA's wet dream, the only thing that wouldn't make them wince at the thought of him leaving LA.

Even if the Knicks kept sucking, it would at least make them relevant agan and get the NY media machine focused squarely on the NBA again, something the league desperately wants. If Stern has any way of helping that happen, he will. But Isiah's probably made it impossible by clogging up NY's salary space with his past dumb trades for overpaid aging vets.

6. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

According to Stephen A. Smith, Shaq told him as recently as 18 months ago, he feels the Lakers have "set up and manipulated" Kobe Bryant and he actually feels sorry for him.
    You know the apocalypse is coming when Shaq and Kobe are lovers again.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Wouldn't it be interesting if Seattle traded the second and 31st overall draft picks for Kobe.
    The Sonics would get one of the best players in the league to go with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis, who'd be more apt to re-sign if they brought in Kobe, and then LA would get the rights to Kevin Durant and probably the 31st pick. People seem to be all up in arms about both Durant and Oden going to the pacific northwest anyway because Portland and Seattle are so far away from the rest of the league, so Durant to LA would give him more exposure in that regard.

8. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

You said it all, man. Buss probably said what he said, but he likely doesn't say it/come to that decision without all the Kobe/Shaq acrimony. To pretend that this doesn't have anything to do with Buss' decision is ridiculous.

More drama with the Drama Queen. Kobe doesn't care about anything but Kobe. He wants out of the West because he's not going anywhere. You got what you wanted, Kobe, and now you want out. Weak.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

fixed.

I think it's hilarious. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. He'll change his mind. And he'll be a big baby again if he isn't averaging 35 shots a game even if the Lakers are winning.

Karma's a bitch, mr. sexual assault. Deserves whatever he gets.

The Lakers should trade him to the Grizzlies so he's stuck in Memphis. I wonder how many big name players would want to play with him with his reputation anyway.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

He has a no-trade clause so if they decide to trade him, he has to approve it.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

And that the only person in the Laker front office Kobe "trusts" is .... Phil.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I pray for the Knicks then. He'll LOVE it there with their winning ways. Where would he go exactly. It would have to involve another max, or close to max, player woudln't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted