1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant torn Achilles'?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I suspect Kobe would be prey for the bear. Easy prey.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Yeah, that was a brain fart. I tore my achilles, not my ACL. That's what I meant.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really don't have an issue with him playing so many minutes. He's the only offensive option on the team, is in great shape and had been performing at a high level late in the season.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind is that while Kobe is 34 in people years, he's probably about 40 in basketball years. He's played 220 playoff games in his career, plus anywhere from 30-50 international games (rough estimate) over the last five years. That's three full seasons added to his career totals. Throw in the wear and tear of not having a full offseason since 2006 and his incredible workrate over the course of his career (73 or more games each season since 2005-06, except last year's lockout-shortened season) and he's got more miles on him than a 1997 Dodge Caravan.
    No doubt he's in better shape than 99.9 percent of every player currently in the NBA, but that's gotta catch up to him at some point.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

SoCal teams lose Weaver, Greinke and Bryant in one week. Getzlaf and Kopitar better be careful tonight.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gary Vitti: Torn Achillies'. Surgery at 1 p.m. Kobe out six to nine months.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Difficult injury. Ankle is kept plantar flexed in equinas, like horse's hoof until the tendon solidly heals and only then can rehab begin. It takes prolonged time to regain ankle range of motion and work on strength. After the power and ROM are back, then comes the rehab on agility and proprioception. Even then, there is no guarantee that return to elite status and previous level of function

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So after the surgery the foot/leg is kept straight, as if in a ballerina pose? For how long? Does that mean you are wheelchair bound for the duration?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

jesusmotherfuckingchrist. who is that guy?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just don't acknowledge it. It's easier on your health -- and everyone else's.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder if the NBA will even bother helping the Lakers make the playoffs now with Kobe out. A 50-16 free-throw edge? 17-33 fouls?

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Shirley, you're not implying ...

Draft saved Draft deleted