1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant torn Achilles'?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 13, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Blaming D'Antoni is like blaming the caddy or an assistant coach when a golfer or head coach melts down. Yeah, it would have been great if he stepped in and told Kobe to ease down, but anyone who thinks Kobe would have listened to him is kidding themselves.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kobe would have come out no more than Michael Jordan would have. I happened to catch some of Jim Rome radio today and Kobe's trainer who was also Jordan's trainer was on talking about the competitive fire that both have.

http://jimrome.com/2013/04/12/tim-grover/

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you mean in like 10 years?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So, a popped Kobe Achilles tendon is worth, what, about $10 million more a year to Dwight Howard?

Dwight's probably heading over the Hallmark store to get Kobe a Get Well Slowly card.

5. I expect the Lakers to sweep their way to the title. Don't you, Tom? Don't you know your NBA?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Kobe vents on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/Kobe/posts/10151563315250419

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Text-book use of social media -- as even Kobe himself admits. Absolutely fascinating.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Classic from Kobe's Facebook page:

"If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear".

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good column by Adrian Wojnarowski on the prospects of a Kobe comback. I don't think I ever realized how driven Kobe is an an athlete until watching him the past couple of weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--devastating-injury-finishes-kobe-bryant-s-season--puts-career-in-peril-080632047.html

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Will the Lakers have the balls to amnesty Kobe and take the $30 million off the books next year?

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Disclaimer: I'm not Kobe Bryant, and can't fathom the physical capabilities of his body.

As a former college athlete who tore an ACL I will weigh in here. Kobe's warrior mentality has the potential to do more harm than good here. This is a complicated injury that will start to feel better long before it is. I've been around a lot of torn ACLs, and I'd say the majority re-injure and prolong recovery by doing too much way too soon. I do think he can come back and be a great player still, but he has to take the emphasis off time and put it on getting that tendon as strong as it can be. He's extra vulnerable to tearing it again now. I'd like to think he has the best trainers in the world that are going to drill this into his brain, but someone of his competitive nature gets into a lot of trouble when they wake up and think "Hey, this feels really good today. I think I'm gonna try to run." Despite what we think, 35 is still pretty young, young enough that if he rehabs properly he should be able to come back and play very well. I don't know how bad it is, but I think a return date of early 2014 is definitely feasible.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

NBA has maximum salaries.

It's his Achilles.

Nefariously Dumb Journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted