1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knoxville News Sentinel desk position

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The job won't officially be posted until late next week. This person will serve as copy desk chief. I will be looking for someone with at least five years experience as a copy editor. Page design skills will be a plus.
    I'm accepting applications and I hope to fill the position by the end of the month.

Phil Kaplan
    Sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel
    2332 News Sentinel Drive
    Knoxville, TN.
    kaplanp@knoxnews.com

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

For those unfamiliar, Phil is one of the really good ones out there. Paper has a solid reputation in a college town. Sports staff is a good mix of youth and experience. Don't hesitate to apply if you think you can get it.

3. nmsports

nmsports Member

I've worked with this staff several times on freelance assignments. Everyone I've dealt with has been topnotch.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Can't think of a single negative comment to make about Phil or anyone else at the News Sentinel. I was a finalist for a job there once, and they treated me with respect and professionalism. This is one of the best places out there, and Phil's a solid, connected pro. Don't hesitate if you think you have the goods.

5. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Just a bump. Job was officially listed last week.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The News Sentinel is seeking a sports copy editor with solid editing and headline-writing abilities. The ideal candidate will have at least five years experience as a copy editor. Page design skills also required along with familiarity with content management system for posting stories on the various sports websites at the News Sentinel.

Candidates also will have a record of performing well under deadline pressure.

The ideal candidate will have newspaper experience. Strong communication skills and the ability to multitask and thrive in a demanding, fast-moving environment are also essential.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

One more vote of confidence for Phil. Good dude no matter how you slice it.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

The job has been filled.

8. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Matt Johnson, who had been with the El Paso Times, will be moving to Knoxville next month.
    Matt started at the paper as a features writer and later moved over to sports. He was assistant sports editor and promoted to sports editor before leaving to start a high school magazine in El Paso.
    I appreciate the interest level for the job.

Phil
    Sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel

Draft saved Draft deleted