1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knoxville murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 31, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GeorgeWill/2007/05/13/hate_crime_laws

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

No, I'm not a racist and have no ill will to any black, asian, latino, etc....and the fact that I even have to type this sentence re-enforces my point.
    I look at the individual, and for me no one person speaks for an entire religion, sect or race. But over the last 10+ years, whenever any instance(real or perceived)of a black person being the victim of discrimination, violence or intolerence, I've been forced to hear the racial garbage spewed by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.....and what I hear is generalities and race baiting. My generation (age 40 and under) grew up around black culture on tv and especially music.....I was raised in a city, so my elementary school was very diverse, and when you're 6 years old..........race means nothing...we were truly color blind. I'd say my generation are the building blocks of Dr.King's "Dream", and those 2 clowns seem hell-bent on making sure the races don't peacefully co-exist.

And I care because I know they are doing more harm than good and their message of hate and blame will eventually undo any progress made in race relations.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Too fucking late. That train already left the station.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The Untold Knoxville Murders
    by Christopher Plante Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans are household names because of a “crime” that never happened.

Channon Christian and Hugh Christopher Newsom were victims of a horrible crime that most certainly did happen, but for some reason, their names wouldn’t ring a bell with the average American, no matter how well informed.

The Duke University lacrosse team’s falsely accused troika had their young lives disrupted and good names dragged through the national media mud for more than a year based on evidence that was suspect almost from the start. The national media took great pride in figuratively lynching the three students because they are white, privileged and went to a prestigious school. It didn’t matter that the case had crumbled -- that the media were left with a mentally unstable accuser and a corrupt, power-abusing, race-baiting, liberal, “rogue” prosecutor. To many, the three young men were still the bad guys.

The underlying narrative is that Dukies, Enron, Halliburton, George W. Bush, and mainstream America are all the same. They are “the problem..” They’re racist, sexist, “homophobic,” and they get away with it. The Duke case affirmed this premise. The fact that no crime was ever committed seemed unimportant. The frenzy in the national media served its purpose. For more than a year, they were the bad guys

In the absence of an agenda, why would this story have the resonance it had in the MSM? Was it really the alleged “crime” itself that drew the news-sharks to the smell of blood in the water? No. It was the socio-political (i.e., liberal agenda) factors.

If it had actually been the “crime” that drove the coverage, then the people of Tennessee would have been overwhelmed last January by an invading army of reporters coming to cover a terrible real crime there.

On January 6th, 2007 a double murder was committed in Knoxville that would make Dirty Harry throw up. It has many of the elements that the Duke not-a-rape story had. It has race, and class and gender, as well as rape -- but made more horrific by murder. A terrible injustice had been committed against innocent, helpless people at the hands of vicious thugs.

On that night, 21-year-old Channon Christian, and her boyfriend, 23-year-old Hugh Christopher Newsom were carjacked in Knoxville by three thugs. Their attackers were sadly not satisfied with the Toyota 4-Runner that they commandeered at gunpoint. They kidnapped the young couple and took them to the house where one of the perps lived. They were joined by a fourth man and a woman. They proceeded to commit the stomach-churning crimes.

All four men are charged with the anal rape of Christopher Newsom. They did so in the presence of Channon Christian. They then shot him to death, wrapped him in bedding, soaked him in gasoline and set him on fire. He was the lucky one.

Channon Christian was a senior at the University of Tennessee. According to the charges and a source close to the investigation, she was repeatedly gang raped by the four men -- vaginally, anally and orally. Before she died, her murderers poured a household cleaner down her throat, apparently in an effort to kill the DNA they had placed there. She was left to die, either from the bleeding caused “by the tearing,” or from asphyxiation. Knoxville officials won’t say.

It was several days before the police found her body. She had been stuffed into a garbage can in the house. According to a story posted on the WATE TV News web site, she was, “in five separate dark trash bags.”

The four men and the woman were eventually arrested. They are all black. Christian and Newsom were white. Two of the murderers had prior felony convictions.

So why would the national media treat America to full-immersion coverage of the Duke not-a-rape case, while burying this horrible story? Certainly the editorial yardstick here is not the nature of the crime or the Knoxville murders would easily supercede the Duke not-a-rape. The appalling truth is that the railroading of the Duke students served an ideological purpose, and the Knoxville case does not.

The news media’s collective decision to studiously ignore the Knoxville horror reveals their consistent practice of burying stories whose facts conflict with their established narratives. You don’t hear much good out of Iraq but Paris Hilton’s DUI gets more attention by far than the Knoxville horror. It’s politics, not news.

In “newsroom-think,” giving the Knoxville story the coverage it merits would serve only to reinforce negative notions and contribute to hurtful stereotypes.

Any editor in any major newsroom that showed the poor judgment to push the Knoxville story would be accused, or at least suspected, of racism by their peers. So it doesn’t happen. It’s not as if they sit around the newsroom and openly conspire. They don’t have to. The rules for this sort of thing were laid down years ago. They all know how the game is played. These are the institutional and cultural norms. There is very little dissent.

Importantly, although it is unarticulated, pursuing this story would not contribute to the broader liberal social narrative as the Duke story did. It wouldn’t be another example of white racist violence, as was the case when the media focused extraordinary attention on terrible murder of a black man named James Byrd who was dragged to death in Jasper, Texas by three sick white racists. I’m not arguing that was not a legitimate story: it was. But if it is legitimate for the media is to burn the name of James Byrd into the national consciousness, then why not the name of Channon Christian? Is it because we are not certain that her murderers used racial slurs during the commission of their crime?

Calculated or not, the fact is that the news media’s obsessive focus on stories that fall into the “America bad” category -- to the exclusion of stories that may conflict with their narrative serves only to misrepresent the broader realities of our society.

Like it or not, the demonization of mainstream, establishment America is perceived in newsrooms as legitimate. It is also -- coincidentally -- the goal of the liberal left. On the planet “News,” the perpetrators of this hideous crime in Knoxville can’t be vilified because they have been pre-designated as “victims.” The Dukies on the other hand are ideally suited for vilification because they represent “the establishment” and he “power structure” and are therefore pre-designated as “victimizers.”

The narrative is there to convince us that, “this is who we really are.” It is not.

While the national news media was advancing the agenda by destroying Don Imus for uttering five insulting syllables (“nappy-headed hoes”), they were ignoring this terrifying Knoxville story because it doesn’t contribute to the narrative.

While they were hanging on Duke prosecutor Mike Nifong’s every self-serving and duplicitous devious word, they were ignoring this terrible crime.

Once you view the media product through this prism, it all makes sense again. It doesn’t make it right, but it makes sense. And we can continue to expect blitzkrieg coverage of stories that advance their talking points.

Now back to the latest on Paris Hilton. But that’s a discussion for another day. http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=20794

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mr. Plante needs to learn how to spell "hoes."

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

And this from the Public Defender, the man responsible for getting the murderers off:

“Knox County Public Defender Mark Stephens finds himself a bit mystified at the notion that the slayings, though horrific, should have rated as national news.
    "I refuse to believe these guys were laying in wait. It seems to me unlikely that the race of the victims had anything to do with this crime," he said. "It seems to me when we read about a black defendant shooting a black person in the projects, nobody gets upset about it.
    "Why is this (case) worthy of national news coverage?" Stephens asked. "Unfortunately, this probably happens in major metropolitan areas every month."

Mr. Stephens may have a point about Knoxville, according to crime statistics; Knoxville has significantly more crime of all kinds than the national average.

While there were 18 murders in a population of about 175,000 in 2003, I doubt if double gang-rape and murder are that common in Knoxville – even in the projects.

But that really is not the issue. It’s not about the crime, it’s about the reporting. Newspapers and other media sources are a “news hole” that must be filled so that people will read or watch long enough to read the advertizing. That is why the “news hole” is filled with violence and sex. It’s what attracts customers.

That’s why we get stories about the “rape” of a stripper by jocks: as long as the stripper is black and the jocks are white. If the rapee is white and the raper is black, there's barely a whisper in the MSM.

That’s why we get stories about Paris Hilton and teens who disappear on class trips to the Islands.

So what could be juicier than the abduction, rape and murder of an attractive young couple? What could better fill that “news hole” and attract readers?

The answer is “nothing.”

So why did it not fill that hole?

It could be that the MSM has suddenly developed a new set of morals and ethics. It could be that they eschew sensationalism and instead begin reporting all that’s right with the world.

Sorry, I must have had you going for a minute.

No, the MSM have a “template” as Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit says. They really believe that white jocks are just waiting for an opportunity to rape black strippers. And while they may, in their heart of hearts believe that blacks can abduct, rape and kill a young white couple, they are not willing to make a big deal about it because it does not fit the “white master raping black slave” template.

What's why what's being called "The Second Duke Rape Case" is getting attention on the internet but not in the "legitimate" MSM.

The members of the MSM are the most race conscious tribe in the world. It shows up in what is covered, and what is not covered. It even shows up in the Iraq war. The NY Times has over 60 successive front page stories on Abu Ghraib. It had one story on the two American soldiers who were abducted and tortured by Arab terrorists in Iraq to such an extent that DNA had to be used to identify the bodies. And why were these two not worth more than one story? There were certainly families to interview and questions to ask about how people could do this sort of thing to fellow human beings. But nothing … no stories followed.

And keep in mind that the MSM tribe, like any tribe, punishes people who don’t conform. Make a big deal over a group of blacks abducting, raping and killing an attractive white couple and you will be asked why you are siding with white bigots. Don’t you realize that you are contributing to white racist stereotypes? Which is what a lot of Satterfield’s story is all about.

Satterfield is not covering the crime, she is covering the story and explaining why the media won’t touch it.

Her reasons: it’s not a big deal, it happens every day, some racists are running with it, and it’s not a race crime; the “authorities” and the perps said so.

http://moneyrunner.blogspot.com/2007/05/two-young-white-kids-out-on-date-robbed.html

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why does anyone read a "reporter" that releases the sexual assault details in a story? Do you really want to spit on their graves a little more?

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

These sick mother fuckers oughta all be hung, or electrocuted or whatever the quickest means is to kill them.
    Why we don't enforce the death penalty more stringently and quickly is beyond me.
    Our country is so out of control, so lenient, when compared to low crime rates seen in so many other nations.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Are you trying to suggest we be a bit more like these countries?

* Afghanistan
    * Antigua and Barbuda
    * Bahamas
    * Bahrain
    * Bangladesh
    * Barbados
    * Belarus
    * Belize
    * Botswana
    * Burundi
    * Cameroon
    * Chad
    * China (People's Republic)
    * Comoros
    * Congo (Democratic Republic)
    * Cuba
    * Dominica
    * Egypt
    * Equatorial Guinea
    * Eritrea
    * Ethiopia
    * Gabon
    * Ghana
    * Guatemala
    * Guinea
    * Guyana
    * India
    * Indonesia
    * Iran
    * Iraq
    * Jamaica
    * Japan
    * Jordan
    * Kazakhstan
    * Korea, North
    * Korea, South
    * Kuwait
    * Kyrgyzstan
    * Laos
    * Lebanon
    * Lesotho
    * Libya
    * Malawi
    * Malaysia
    * Mongolia
    * Nigeria
    * Oman
    * Pakistan
    * Palestinian Authority
    * Qatar
    * Rwanda
    * St. Kitts and Nevis
    * St. Lucia
    * St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    * Saudi Arabia
    * Sierra Leone
    * Singapore
    * Somalia
    * Sudan
    * Swaziland
    * Syria
    * Taiwan
    * Tajikistan
    * Tanzania
    * Thailand
    * Trinidad and Tobago
    * Uganda
    * United Arab Emirates
    * Uzbekistan
    * Vietnam
    * Yemen
    * Zambia
    * Zimbabwe

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'd really hate to have a 90-95 percent literacy rate like a few of those countries listed.

Give me Nevis or St. Kitts any day over this empire in retreat.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

How many of those countries listed aren't 3rd world-esque.
    I am talking about your Netherlands, your Germanys, your Canadas, your Belizes, your Swedens, your Denmarks, and many of your European areas.
    The U.S. is a place I love, but damn there's too many killings and too many guns floating around and into the wrong people's hands.
    And the justice system is too, too lenient in the U.S.
    Let's 86 some of t hese criminals, the ones who are dead-on guilty of these grusesome crimes, and lets set some precedents and make some examples outta people.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Those countries you just listed don't have the death penalty.

Draft saved Draft deleted