1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knoxville murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 31, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You forgot after 10-20 years of endless appeals.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I had been a pro-death penalty guy. Militant about it.

Then they started giving them the liquid sleeping pill to close out their night of lobster dinner and open-mike night with the utterances of whatever depraved manifesto they had clanking in their soulless skulls.

All of those appeals didn't bother me as much when there was an Old Sparky, or some other torturous endgame, taunting these animals from down the hall.

Now it is a pure travishamockery.

Life without parole is, inarguably, the greater penalty. And it comes without the added costs to taxpayers.

3. And what a manly fellow you are.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That's my hometown, and my parents still live there. They've told me several times that police are releasing very little information about the case, but that everyone in town still talks about it all the time, which leads to all the speculation and rumors. She said that "too many people who have no idea what's going on are talking like they do."

From my understanding of where the victims were picked up, that is a middle-class to lower-middle-class "white" area of town but really close to the city's second biggest shopping mall.

The 2000 census said there were about 385,000 people in Knox County, but that was up nearly 50,000 from the 1990 census, so it's fair to assume the County has more than 400,000 people now. And that doesn't include the neighbor counties and cities like Maryville/Alcoa, Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Jefferson County, Loudon/Lenoir City, Clinton, etc... so I would say the Knoxville metro area — Knox County and each county that touches it — is somewhere around 800,000, and maybe more. There were 700,000-plus there seven years ago, and the place is definitely bigger in every direction every time I go back. It's a beautiful area of the country with the Smokies and a great mid-sized city with a vastly-improving downtown and a LOW cost of living.

When there were 704,431 according to the 2000 census, there were about 630,000 white people and less than 40,000 black people. Except for one high school and about half of two other high schools area-wise, the place is lilly white, but it's not full of racists, at least not more than any other city its size in the South or Mid-Atlantic or Appalachia. Nearly all the protestors at that rally were from out of the area, and several local groups protested the protestors.

Again, that's just my opinion, but I have formed it with information from family as well as a bunch of white, black and hispanic friends from childhood and college.

5. Yes, because white Americans need black preachers to teach them how to be racist, because we all forgot how back in the 1960's.

6. Anyone who starts feeling racist toward black Americans because they don't like something that Sharpton and/or Jackson say and/or do, was pretty much just looking for an excuse anyway.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

really? I think many whites are becoming quite angered and tired with the fact that at every turn Jackson and Sharpton play their race baiting games, essentially blaming the white man for every problem in black america. Thats not "feeling racist"....it's an honest response to being blamed for problems you didn't create.......and to top it off, if you express that anger, you in turn are called a racist

8. And are you?
    If not, then what do you care?
    Neither Sharpton nor Jackson "blame the white man for every problem in black America." That's ahistorical and dumb. Jackson, for one, was on the stay-in-school-don't-make-babies rap back when Bill Cosby was still selling pudding pops. He even once made a lot of noise when he said that, if he were walking down the street, and heard footsteps behind him, he was embarrassed to be relieved when it turned out to be a white man.
    And, I repeat, if you start resenting black people based on what one or two black men say in public, you're looking for an excuse anyway.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fixed.

And Sharpton and Jackson may not blame every problem in black America on the white man, but that's not for a lack of trying.....

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So what are you trying to say?

[​IMG]

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I tried to talk about this on my blog, but it didn't take. People got very worked up over it. While on the surface it appears to be just another killing (and this is the worst double-murder i've ever read about and really hit home; it could have easily been my buddy and his girlfriend), most people do think this is a hate crime.

I'm more upset that these savages were out on the streets. All of them have lengthy criminal records.

Draft saved Draft deleted