1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knoxville murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 31, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know anything about a double murder in Knoxville that has been talked about in right-wing blogs?
    I guess what happened was a young white couple was carjacked, brutally raped, tortured, mutilated, maimed and burned before they were killed and the suspects were five black men.
    The righties are crying that it's a hate crime, that the media and law enforcement are covering up things about the crime, that if it were two black people killed in the same manner by five white people the national media would be all over it, etc, etc, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh...
    By the way, what journalism school did Charlie Daniels attend? He seems to have so much to say about the coverage of this.
    Look, it was a horrible, horrible crime. Starman justice is probably in order, but I am so sick of the right crying double standard.

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

This might stir up some shit here, but I've got to say, I fail to understand how a black person killing a white person primarily because that person was white is not a hate crime. To me, it's the very damned definition of a hate crime and it should absolutely be treated as one.

All five of these sick bastards should be charged with whatever gets them dead the fastest.

And the reason there's no widespread coverage is because A) somebody getting killed happens all the time, and B) You hear these details once, you turn away and never go back to the story.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey, small, have you read what happened to these two people? If so, and you still can type that waah, waah shit, you're a waste of skin, plain and simple.

5. Smallpotatoes

What happened was terrible. I didn't say it wasn't.
    Some racist assholes using the case and making up shit about it to stir up more trouble is also terrible.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5557549,00.html

6. pallister

pallister Guest

What's terrible is that you're exploiting these horrific deaths to make a political point (the same thing you're accusing others of doing). Next time you get outraged over what some assholes are doing, look in the fuckin' mirror.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Point is, sp (though I'm glad you started a thread about something not directly involving some TERRIBLE mishap in your own life), that if this were a black couple killed by five white guys, the assumption would be hate crime and it would be talked about as such until it were proven otherwise.

But in this situation, if you dare even ask the question, you get insulted.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

well, I certainly won't be buying a Toyota 4Runner anytime soon.

And if five redneck crackers carjacked and raped a black couple and then killed them, it would be Imus 10-fold starring Rev. Al Conk and Rev. Jetstream.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Will somebody please tell me what murder does not qualify as a hate crime?

White on white, black on black, white on black, black on white..,

Why do we have to qualify murder? Every one of them is a hienous crime...race, religion, sexual orientation, political believes/correctness be damned!

One human being killing another human being is a sick fucking act.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, mr. moral has spoken. Let's all pack up.

No one's saying it's not. But the point is, the coverage would be much more saturated, at least initially, if the races of the victims and the perpetrators were reversed.

11. Smallpotatoes

I think the distinction between a hate crime and other kinds of murders are that hate crimes are intended to intimidate an entire group of people (whether it's race, gender, sexual orrientation, etc.), as opposed to it simply being a crime that a person from one of those groups commits against a person from another.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And what that means, IJAG, my friend, is that the television media is totally and unredeemly fucked up.

Every goddamn insane act in this once great and now totally fucked up country has to be put into a niche that fits the fucking news channels agenda.

But more newspapers tomorrow will make a headline out of some dumbass ass no talent skank drunk bitch going into rehab than they they will over the fucking insanity of the growing mass/multiple murder rate in this country.

I'm happy I'm getting old. I'll die before this sick country crumbles like the Holy Roman Empire.

Draft saved Draft deleted