1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing your place and when it's appropriate to let loose on a co-worker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wedgewood, Nov 12, 2006.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

This happened tonight at my place of work and I've been stewing about it ever since. I fucked up. I misspelled a word in a headline when I was rimming a story. I spell check everything, but I totally glossed over the mistake and moved the story on through. Nice big misspelled word in 50 point type, and thankfully it was caught. And I am grateful for that, I am. But the person who caught it proceeded to bust my balls in front of everyone on the copy desk. "You gotta make sure you run your headlines through spell check." Just so you know, this person has made it a point to announce my fuck-ups plenty of times before. And, to me, it's totally condescending. Copy editors fuck up from time to time, too.
    This person I'm speaking of, we essentially have the same job. Tonight I was rim, but mostly I'm proof, sort of a pseudo-slot position. And when a rimmer fucks up a headline or a cutline, I change it. I don't announce it to the world, I just change it, I make the correction. That's my job as a proofer, right? I trust their abilities and I know they didn't mean to screw up, they just do sometimes. They're human. I don't have a problem when a slot editor or a night editor calls me out like that. That's their job, and sometimes fear is a good motivator. It does, however, bug me when a part-timer, who happens to be the biggest kiss-ass I've met in my life, does this. This person is a decent copy editor, better than me, and when this person rewrites my heds, most of the time, this person makes improvements. (Pardon my lack of pronouns, by the way). I just hate her guts (whoops). I guess what I'm asking to you more experienced folk on the desk, is she completely fucking out of line for calling me out like this? Or is this protocol? I'm new, three months in, a decent worker, and seriously guys and gals, I'm not a total pussy, I'm not the type of person to let people walk all over me, but I am seeking advice. Is the time right to grow a sac and make a scene or should I appreciate the humiliation because it'll make me better at my job?

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

So, you made a mistake, and a part-timer, who you describe as "kiss ass," "better than me," throws down and makes a big scene at your expense?

Keep an eye on your back if you want to keep your job. The best way to make me look good is to make you look bad.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

sounds like a boss I had at my last gig. To look good, he'd yell and stick out his chest when even the smallest of mistakes of made. Some people rate their success on how bad they can make someone else look.
    So I quit.
    Sorry you don't have that option.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

QUIETLY, mention something to your supervisor. Explain about your philosophy of handling others mistakes. Remind him/her that you are a full-time employee and you don't appreciate being called out like that in public by any co-worker, let alone by a part timer.
    If that doesn't work, go to HR and claim sexual harrassment... that will secure your job as long as she works there! ;)

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Vocalizing that a mistake has been made in the interest of expediency is proper. Sometimes, thing need to be called out just to get them fixed in a timely manner.

"Busting your balls" or stating the obvious in front of everyone -- "Spellcheck your headlines!" -- is not proper and not necessary.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I will say it takes two to engage. If a blowhard, who has no standing, tries to make a scene or browbeat someone, that person looks far worse than whatever mistake might have been made. If the supervisor/night editor was doing his/her job, that would not be a part of the evening anyway.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You should run spellcheck.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Be an adult about it.

Just talk to her and tell her you don't appreciate anyone -- especially a part-timer -- telling you how to do your job. If that doesn't work, head to the boss.

9. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Yeah,
    I think that is the best way to go about it. I guess what sorta trips me up is that both night editors seem to think that it's OK for her to go around and browbeat people like this. I think it's total bullshit and completely unprofessional.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

part-timer? teller her she better watch her mouth, 'cause she doesn't have health insurance and may need it

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's a high-tension environment, which manifests itself different ways in different people, but there is no excuse for being an asshole to your coworkers. If she persists in reaming you in front of everyone else, be the bigger person, take her behind closed doors and politely tell her to stop. If that doesn't do the trick, then go to a supervisory person. Oh, and spellcheck your headlines. ;D

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you admit a part-timer is better at your job, and improves your headlines when the part-timer re-writes them, I have one question: why the hell are still employed there?

Draft saved Draft deleted