1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing When To Get Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Sep 22, 2009.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I know it's time to get out. It's a matter of finding something else to do before I take the leap, although I have just about decided to take my chances anyway several times.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If I had a nickel for every time someone from corporate pooped on my desk...

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. I get that feeling as well, though I would like something lined up so I can be financially secure. Plus days can get REALLY bad, and when I reflect with an open mind, I often come to the conclusion that things aren't that bad in perspective.

4. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

When you go on a vaction and you're a freelancer and the three friends you're with all are using paid vacation days.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Most of my problem is that this six-week stint as interim managing editor (and still doing all the sports by myself) is going into its eighth month. And my gut feeling is that the guy we interviewed last week is going take a job with better health insurance because his wife is on some heart meds. Which means that it will end up going into a ninth month (and probably 10th) because every time we've narrowed it down, we've put all our eggs in one basket and when the candidate turns us down, we have to start all over again.

I'm just flat burned out. Right now, I'm sitting in the newsroom by myself (in fact, I'm the only person in the building right now) seeing how much I can goof off and still make deadline. I've gotten it down to an art in the past two weeks.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Today when I started to do layout on the agate page and there was a quarter page house ad that says "Time for a Career Change" --- talk about getting hit between the eyes with a baseball bat!

Draft saved Draft deleted