1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Know Your Value

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 4, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like she needed a better agent before she signed the contract.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She had been fired by CBS and was doing freelance for MSNBC when she got hired according to what she said this morning.

So, it's not like she had a lot of leverage.

They could have paired just about anyone with Joe at that point.

Plus, if I recall, they tried out a number of shows/hosts in that time slot after the whole Imus episode, so there was probably no guarantee that there would even be a ling term show when she signed up.

Scarborough had been hosting Scarborough Country in prime time for MSNBC, so he likely already had a contract in place that paid him well.

3. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Well, after applying to a dozen positions in the last month and getting zero interviews, I'd say my value is shit.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heck, according to this article, I'm richer than I realize because of my "Human Capital"

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/112608/human-capital-net-worth?mod=fidelity-changingjobs&cat=fidelity_2010_changing_jobs

If's that's the case, then how come none of the publishers at the small papers I worked for in my 20s realized how valuable I was and kick in an extra few thousand bucks a year?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think one of the dirty secrets of TV is that people aren't paid half as much as people think they make. You hear about the big contracts because agents are looking for more clients.
    And it also explains why the women on Fox can't afford longer skirts.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Dora and Diego are Old and Broken. Ni Hao Kai-lan is what all the cool kids are watching.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Which is perfectly logical, from the perspective of a TV watcher and not an industry insider. You see "famous person on TV" and you think "bank," especially with the big-money contracts you've mentioned. But while the local TV people probably get perks from advertisers (laser eye surgery and weight loss programs come to mind), they're not nearly as well-off as their wardrobe would indicate.

8. YankeeFan

Well, part of "knowing your value" is being realistic about what the value you bring to the table is.

Some of the hosts on FOX are undeniably beautiful, put they're also pretty interchangeable. One hot chick reading the news is the same as another hot chick reading the news.

If you have built an audience with personal loyalty to you, or have proven yourself as a true reporter, that brings a lot more value.

9. YankeeFan

To compare fields, a Wall St. trader with a proven track record of making money will always be able to find a job. Headhunters will be after him/her.

A broker with a lot of clients can also move around and bring his clients with him.

A guy answering phones on a trading desk -- interchangeable.

Draft saved Draft deleted