1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Know Your Value

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 4, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mika Brzezinski has a new book out, and while it's geared to women, it offers lessons that everyone could use.

The most interesting nugget so far is that Joe made 14 times what she did originally.

How's that possible? $100,000 vs. $1,400,000?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dumbfounded, though perhaps not the best example . . . Mike's value to that show was and remains broadly debatable.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

(A) If the show is "Morning Joe," then yes, Joe is worth many times more than Mika. It ain't "Morning Mika."

(B) If Mika Brzezinski was really scrambling to make ends meet and was bouncing checks, that speaks very, very poorly of her, not MSNBC. She wasn't exactly making minimum wage.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Two things can be equally true.
    She might be underpaid. I don't know what she makes or what her coworkers make, and I've never seen the show.
    She probably makes enough that people don't sympathize with her not making ends meet.

Why would she be paying her own travel expenses for work?

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Mine? Currently $1.38 a pound. But I am trending upward slightly.

rb

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If she was making $100k, expected to live in a high-COL city and really paying for her own travel, makeup and wardrobe for the show, then I can buy having trouble making ends meet. That's just a weird situation, though.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like the salary gap is a dealbreaker for her, though: Mediabistro and other outlets are reporting that CBS wants both to jump ship when their contracts expire in the next year.

From that story, apparently the gap isn't what it used to be:

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The show is better without her.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I knew you'd say that.

She can be really annoying.

And in the segment I saw them do on it and in the article I posted to, she doesn't really come across that well.

But, overall, it's still a good point that you need to know your value & maximize your earnings.

10. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I haven't watched that show in years. I'm up that early, but I'm usually watching Super Why, Dinosaur Train and Sesame Street with my son.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Does he get pissed you hog the programming?

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Welcome to your future. Unless he or she latches on to Dora and Diego. Then God help you.

Draft saved Draft deleted