1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Know Your Place Rook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How many times have Met fans seen this scenereo - pump up the rookie as the 2nd coming of Cleon Jones only to find that said rookie has major flaw.

I don't know how Minaya did not know - anyone paying remote attention could see it coming a mile away.

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Too many to count, from Mike Vail, Mardie "the Chief" Cornejo and Kelvin Chapman up to Milledge, it's the same old song.

3. Boom_70

Billy Beene , Timo Perez , ect ect

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So what else has Milledge done besides get high fives from the fans following a home run? I don't exactly follow the Mets so I don't know. To me it sounds like you guys are blowing this out of proportion to some extent, he's still a hell of a young player.

5. Boom_70

We did not put the sign up at his locker - the Met players did so we can only assume he has done a lot to piss them off. Baseball still has a lot of those unwritten rules - one of them being act like you have been there before -

6. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

A vet told him to get in line, Milledge responded with a string of profanities shouting the guy down; said message left on locker. Membership application for the alex ochoa/sean peyton/steve henderson/mike vail/club now being processed.

7. Boom_70

Assume you mean "jay" Peyton - who has to be Club president.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Can't let this thread get any farther without mentioning probably the most overhyped rookie of my lifetime -- Gregg Jefferies.

9. Boom_70

Great call - how could we forget.

Also need to give a shout out to Ryan Thompson who Mets got when they traded David Cone -

Thompson was suppose to be the 5 tool plum in trade that also included Jeff Kent.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Can't let this thread get any farther without mentioning probably the most overhyped rookie of my lifetime -- Gregg Jefferies.
    [/quote]

Indeed ... :eek:

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Can't forget the Big Three, either -- Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen and Paul Wilson, who were supposed to be the next Seaver, Matlack and Koosman.

But to be fair, the last two mega-hyped Met minor-leaguers were Jose Reyes and David Wright.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Don't forget Scott Kazmir, whoops wrong thread.

Though you're right about the Mets traditionally overhyping their minor leaguers.

Draft saved Draft deleted