1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knocked up - Funnier than the trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

My wife and I really liked the movie. There were too many gratuitous f-bombs for my tastes (like a couple of the earlier posters), but I knew there would be.
    I think it's getting praised so much, though, because there are so few really good comedies these days.

It's like eating at Hardees every day for months, then going to the Olive Garden and being like, "Man, that was awesome. Sheer perfection."
    That said it was pretty hilarious, probably bBetter than "40-year-old Virgin."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have not laughed like that at a theater for awhile...

This is why I love R-rated movies... You can hear how people actually talk...

I agree that it was the best comedy in awhile, definitely better than Wedding Crashers and 40-Year-Old Virgin...

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the f-bombs is a generational thing, but when I was 23 (not that long ago) that's exactly how my friends talked. And when girls called our house to talk to one of my roommates, we pantomimed sex scenes to try and make them laugh while they were on the phone. To me, it was less gratuitous and more a reflection of the way 23-year-old guys behave. The stuff with Ben and his buddies was intentionally over the top to show what he was giving up to be with Allison. And I thought the shots of the crowning baby were a brilliant commentary on these goofball guys who spend all day looking a movies and logging nude scenes. The audience in my theater flipped out when it happened, which was Aptow's intent. How silly is it that we think seeing breasts and vaginas in sexual situations in movies is totally acceptable, but we freak out when confronted with the reality of what results from sex? Fake childbirth makes us uncomfortable, but watching other people fake having sex is ok?

Here's a funny deleted scene from the movie about Brokeback Mountain.

I think, though, my favorite line in the whole movie was when Seth Rogan and Paul Rudd were in the hotel room having their epiphanies and Rudd said, "I have to move to this other chair." That was perfect.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the script was as close to perfect as you can get...

Great film across the board...

5. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

I agree with Mizzou -- I liked it better than Wedding Crashers. 'Virgin' had more funny one-liners, but I definitely recommend 'Knocked Up.' Sap that I am, I liked the fact there was a happy ending (unlike The Break Up). I'm sure I missed a lot of the one-liners the first time around so I may have to see it again to catch everything.

I thought Apatow's kids were great.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Paul Rudd was just on Jon Stewart and had a great line.

Rudd said that he was pretty sure that Comedy Central had never had anyone say the line that he had just thrown out there.

Stewart said that Carlos Mencia had once said it on a special.

Rudd, without missing a beat, said, "I thought I had heard that line before."

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Damn fun movie, and I think I agree with what somebody said earlier: This might be the first proof that Heigl's capable of carrying a big-budget movie on her own.

That's not to say there weren't some great performances around her, but she's the name that put the fannies in the seats, and she is indeed doing it.

Superstar material.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I will see this at some point, though our critic panned it for not having a plot. Said it was enjoyable as fluff, but wasn't that good.

Also said he'd cut a good 30 minutes out of it to like it more.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fnord your critic.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Someday, Heigl will play a great Jackie Kennedy. Dead ringer from the eyes to the mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted