1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knocked up - Funnier than the trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 20, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

This movie was fan-fucking-tastic.

2. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

You know what's not funny about this movie? Seeing it, then having a dream that night that you are, in fact, about to be a father.

Other than that (oh, it is a bit long too) it's great. Might have to see it again to hear all the jokes I missed while everyone was laughing their asses off.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You racist bastard, the bouncer was Darryl, the warehouse manager. You know, not all black people look alike. Learn it, live it, love it. Happy Steak & a Blowjob Day

I also thought that Ryan from the Office was great as the perv gyno.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Oh my god, I am so ashamed right now.

5. I want to see this based off the one joke alone: "Hey, don't let him near the kid, he wants to 'rear' your child!" And for the premise of a cornball hooking up with a totally hot chick. I can totally relate.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I liked the movie, but I'm afraid I'm bound to like it less and less as more and more people pile praise on it. There were a few things I just didn't get. A short list:

SPOILERS, maybe

How the hell can you live for like 8 months on $150 or something? I don't like to get caught up in the small things, but they kept bringing it up, over and over, and they really didn't ever give a good reason. He supposedly only has $150 in the bank account, yet he took her out to a fancy dinner when she first dropped the bomb on him -- heck, it looked like a fairly expensive club where they first met. I won't even mention rent, but they were drinking fairly expensive beer most of the movie, albeit it mostly Bug Light bottles, or Red Stripe, but still more than some cheap ass Natty light.

Why did they suddenly get in a huge fight and break up? Pretty much because he wasn't taking care of her during the earthquake and hadn't read the baby books, but neither of those things seemed to be in tune with what his character had become. He seemed over being a totally worthless bum. He trying to push his roomies toward getting the internet site off the ground, and he was taking care of her and being great. Hell, he picked out the baby books. Then the plot needed them to break up so it felt like he took a 2-day break from that and got all shitty again, just in time.

Why did they go to Vegas? (add in here, how the fuck could the main guy afford to go to Vegas ... I know the other guy paid for most of it, but that wasn't evident right away. Right away, the brother in law was like "Lets go!" the other guy was like "Hell yeah!" without even thinking twice? With $150 in the account? Baaa ... no more about the money, I promise.)

What happened with the sister's relationship? Did they make up? It seemed like they surely would, but it never made it clear whether they reconciled or not. One minute, he ditches the whole family to go to Vegas, goes crazy on 'shrooms, comes back and is a happy husband wearing a crown. The problems in their marriage was supposedly one of the main reasons the main chick didn't want to get married ... so they just dropped the story line after it had served its purpose?

Also, whoever mentioned that there was unnecessary swearing was dead on, too. There was a lot of unnecessary stuff, mostly just the two shots of baby/vag. I'm no prude either, and it didn't ruin the experience for me, but I just appreciate that stuff a lot more when it comes in sync with the plot, as opposed to when it just seems thrown in for the hell of it.

There were about 10 more times where only an extreme leap of faith allowed the logic to work out. It's mostly stupid stuff that dumb to complain about, especially when you're talking about a crude comedy, but it still bugged me a little.

In the end, I thought it was a good movie. Just good though. I laughed plenty, but I didn't die laughing. I would recommend it. In fact, maybe I should see it again ... and drink more.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Was that "Serpico"? I think it was Scorsese.

Anyway, best comedy I have seen in a long time.

For me, since There's Something About Mary. I think it destroyed the 40-year-old-Virgin.

I have never seen a comedy with so many GREAT bit performances, the Asian stoner girlfriend leading the charge. Add in the bouncer, the Asian doctor, the male nurse, the female TV exec, plus many more my adrenaline keeps me from recalling right now.

And, as great as Heigl and Rogen are, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann drive this film. I love Rudd in everything, and now wonder how Mann hasn't had this sort of tour de force until now.

Of course, as perhaps the biggest Freaks and Geeks fan on the board (I dunno, actually I think that BYH and I may have no greater agreement than that topic), it was Valhalla... further attestment to how moronic NBC was for axing it after one season, the best single-season show in history.

Judd Apatow: Tremendous shroom and childbirth scenes (keyed by the best anatomical model since the zipped-up beans in Mary). His take is always so real. His humor rarely sits on a tired cliche or stretches on extreme hyperbole. My wife and I were both crying in laughter.

Seth Rogen, who majorly cut his stoner/surprisingly sensitive tub/uproarious teeth during the FG storyline with the hermaphrodite girlfriend. He's busted loose.

Jason Segel, showing a different side than the ultra-sensitive Nick on FG (love that all the stoner friends maintained the actors' names in KU)....

Martin Starr. Was there a better episode than Seven Minutes of Heaven? After what that kid surely went through growing up and then on-screen on FG, dealing with the incessant ripping in KU must have been an acting vacation.

James Franco: The alumni's biggest star thus far. Great cameo "IF that's one of those hidden-camera shows....."

Have to settle down.

I'm wired. What a rush.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

I loved the stoner-Asian girlfriend.

"Do you ever get mad at the baby when he steals your food? 'Hey baby, that's my food!'"

9. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Pilot,

I have to agree almost wholeheartedly with what you posted.

I saw the movie Friday night with the better half and sure, there were moments when we laughed out loud but overall, the movie could be described as a Rich Karlis field goal attempt — missed wide right.

The plot holes you mentioned as well as some of the scenes that seemed out of place and unnecessary.. especially the scene when the sisters go to the club but don't get in because one is pregnant and one is old. Then, they're on the curb and she's crying... what the hell did that have to do with anything?

It seemed this occurred throughout the movie not to mention the guy that did the knocking up wasn't much of a lovable loser.

Why all the glowing praise for this flick? I'm not sure. It is an original premise which is lacking in Hollywood and it was an OK movie... but plenty of misses for making it a classic.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I thought the movie was hilarious, sweet, one of the better efforts of '07 and I've seen most everything. Was it the comedic classic that I thought it was going to be? No. The obscure, Family Guy-esque references are not going to help this film age well. It kind of dragged at times with too much fighting, reminding me of the mediocre-to-terrible '06 Vaughn/Aniston movie The Breakup at some moments. And this movie is far from realistic, but I don't really care about that when it comes to this kind of movie. Still, this is nitpicking. An awesome effort by Apatow and very enjoyable.

But let's be honest, 40 Year Old Virgin is far funnier than this, even if I'd agree with the argument that this may be the overall better movie. Watch 'em again within a few hours apart like I did yesturday and don't be at all biased. Fuck, the first hour alone of Virgin blows Knocked Up out of the water, comedy-wise.

Paul Rudd is fantastic. He deserves a lead role after Virgin/Knocked Up. He has this effortless, hysterical charm about him and I'd even say he carried this movie and stole many scenes. And I think it's safe to say with the strong box office-showing of Knocked Up, Seth Rogen will get more starring roles in the future.

I cannot wait for Superbad. It looks even better than Knocked Up and it stars two young comedic gems in Michael Cera (George Michael of Arrested Development) and Jonah Hill. Rogen co-wrote it. And thankfully it's rated R too.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Also, love the Tony Soprano and Robert DeNiro references (imitation).

Draft saved Draft deleted