1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knocked up - Funnier than the trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I must see this.

2. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I would just like to give some love to an actor that is very underrated actor. His name, which was mentioned in passing on this thread, is Jason Segel.

He was, of course, on "Freaks & Geeks" and he's currently on "How I Met Your Mother."

But he was also in the movie "Slackers," as well as "SLC Punk," which I completely forgot about until I saw a couple times on HBO this month. That, by the way, is probably in my top 10 movies of all time.

Anyhow, I just want to give my boy Jason Segel some love, and hopefully he too will get a chance to be a leading man one of these days.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

His stuff with Kevin Tighe as his dad on F&G was heartbreaking and hilarious at once.

When he went to stay with the Weirs, he said to Mrs. Weir, "That smells great, Mrs. Weir. What is it... meat?"

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I will second Jay here, this was terrific. Some brilliant lines, and a lot missed because of the laughter of the audience.

From the reviews I've seen already, a most everyone's giving the thing an "A" as well.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Saw this last night with the wife. Loved it. I thought it was as funny as 40-Year-Old Virgin, but it also had a really sweet ending. And by sweet I mean "made my wife cry" not Katherine Heigel gets naked.

I'm not sure I ever really bought into the idea that Heigel's character would fall for Rogan's character, but it didn't really matter. She's freaking beautiful, and she's funny too. I've said it before, but I think she's about to become HUGE. Like this generation's Cameron Diaz or Meg Ryan huge. She's perfect for romantic comedies.

A lot of great bit cameos in here, including a great one from the guy who plays Stanley from the The Office, and another from Kristin Weig from SNL.

Lastly, the soundtrack was freaking great. Aptow asked Louden Wainwright III to write a bunch of songs for the film, and a bunch of is outstanding. Two songs that play during the credits, "Daughter" and "Grey In LA" are already on heavy rotation in my iTunes. There was some Bright Eyes in there as well that was awesome.

My wife loved it too. Even more than me, actually. A very good date movie.

6. Excellent summer movie.
    Also a pop-culture reference-fest, especially with the poor bastard who makes the haircut bet. My two favorites were:

1) Dude, you look like Robin Williams' knuckles.
    and
    2) Did it hurt you to have to change your name from Cat Stevens to Yusuf Islam?

MST3K's legacy lives on.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You know what is not helping us get laid is The Shoebomber, Richard Reid over here.

Yeah man, how was Burning Man this year?

Catch you later, Serpico on cocaine.

8. The area they point to with the age verification is not within the boundaries of my browser window. I have no idea why, but I can't get to it.

9. Let me start this by saying I'm Mormon and don't normally go to R-rated movies. However, my wife and I had heard good things about this one and decided we'd give it a shot. So with that background, a few thoughts ...

1. We each thought it was a good mix of a funny plot with some funny lines and a sweet outcome. However, it wasn't the laugh nonstop event we were led to believe it would be. I'd personally give it three stars out of five.

2. Many of the best scenes were turned in by supporting actors. That's not to say the two leads were bad. But the true funny stuff came from Seth Rogen's band of friends, and Paul Rudd as Katherine Heigl's brother-in-law.

3. The language was way, way, way over the top. I'm not a prude by any means. I work in sports journalism, which means I hear a steady diet of four-letter words from co-workers, coaches and athletes. But I've never met anyone who uses said words to the extreme as they do in this movie. In many scenes, it was simply gratuitous, as if the writer decided, "This baby is going to get an R rating, so let's throw in as many F-bombs as possible." After a while, it just got old and took away from the truly clever lines that were in the film.

I'm all for being crass and clever at the same time. I went and saw There's Something About Mary in the theater and had the best movie-watching experience of my life. On the opposite end, Knocked Up was, as I already said, often times crude just because it could be.

Feel free to let the rip fest begin :)

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

When I left the theatre, my female friend said to me, "Who stuck a Lifetime movie at the end of that raunchy comedy?"

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Knocked Up is to movies as the Arctic Monkeys are to music.

You decide if that's a complement or not.

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

I'm officially in love with Katherine Heigl.

I thought the movie was fantastic, but I can see where the previous poster was coming from. There was a bunch of swearing just for the sake of swearing and it didn't really add anything to the movie. Since I'm not a prude, it didn't affect me, but I'm sure it'd affect a lot of older folks who aren't as desensitized to what can be said on television.

As for the soundtrack, I loved the last song "Daughter" by Wainwright. Of course stupid iTunes marks that as an "album only" track. I'm against buying full album on iTunes since they're 9.99 and you don't get a case, an actual CD or a booklet. I looked for the soundtrack at Target but they didn't have it ... Anyone want to hook a brother up with an MP3 of the song to tide me over?

Draft saved Draft deleted