1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knocked out of the playoffs has a new meaning in Montgomery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 17, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Both teams tossed.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good line about the Agonizer Dixie. Very poor job.
    No one likes us, it's sad that your local tv types resort to that kind of thing just for ratings.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Boy that ASU rep really came off as a tool... all I could think about while I watched him was Kevin Bacon in Animal House.
    "Remain calm! All is well! All is well!"
    But I guess if I represented that school I'd be used to spin-doctoring/turd-polishing.
    And how about this quote from the AHSAA executive director:
    "from what I've seen in just the short clips, I'm very disappointed for student athletes of our state, because, uh, very disappointed [for] what we taught 'em today."
    Way to be prepared, douche.

4. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Where's coach Reeves when you need him?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

From the Ministry of Propaganda...

Carver, Valley Placed On Restrictive Probation

The boys basketball programs at Carver and Valley high schools have been put on restrictive probation, effectively immediately, because of the incident at the Regional Basketball Tournament Tuesday, AHSAA Executive Director Steve Savarese announced at a press conference here Wednesday.

Restrictive probation limits those programs to only regular season play and prohibits any participation in the boys’ basketball championship program. Both schools are removed from the Regional Tournament and Talladega High School, the other Class 5A boys’ team participating to the finals, will advance to the Final48 State Tournament next week in Birmingham.

This is an ongoing investigation and additional actions could be taken in the days ahead.

We have studied some video of the incident and met with school and law enforcement officials. We appreciate the cooperation of Montgomery School Superintendent John Dilworth, Carver principal Garry Hall and Coach James Jackson, Chambers County Assistant Superintendent George McCullough, Valley principal Larry McQuiston and Coach Marshon Harper, members of the Montgomery Police Department, and staff members of Alabama State University.

“We’re very disappointed for the student-athletes of our state,” said Savarese. “This is not what we’ve taught and stressed in our sportsmanship emphasis over the last three years,” This emphasis is so important to our program that our Central Board made the online STAR Sportsmanship program a mandatory eligibility requirement for all students involved in athletics at all our member schools.

“We have made a remarkable improvement statewide as evidenced by the significant reduction in the number of sports ejections over the last three years, and then this unfortunate incident occurs,” he said. “The 55 percent fewer player and coach ejections we have had is credited to the commitment of the state’s education leadership, athletic directors and coaches in using the mandated STAR Sportsmanship program.

“We will continue to put sportsmanship at the forefront of our program and hope we do not have any more incidents like this to cast a negative shadow on the progress of our efforts,” he added. “We will not tolerate this type of behavior in our program.

“I want us not to forget all our member schools who conduct themselves in a manner that represents the mission of the AHSAA where sportsmanship and behavior is always at the forefront.”

------
    In other words, we're going to throw them both out of the tourney now while everyone is paying attention, evaluate further fines and suspensions (getting tossed is $300 each times 15, for starters) and since we acted swiftly now, we're going to hope you aren't paying attention when we lower the boom and make you FOIA the individual schools for release of further penalties cause we don't release shit on our own...

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

More fun than watching fans at European soccer matches.

This story is the pits.
    Awful behavior by crap-headed students.
    Education's changed in the past 20 years, so much to the bad, that this sort of thing happens with regularity in bigger cities.
    These younger assholes in the stands should be suspended for the rest of the school year, the older folks should be sent to jail.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Almost was really fun for Nick Saban... bigtime recruit Brandon Moore of Carver wanted to jump in the melee to help his teammates and was restrained by his basketball coach,,,

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

and apparently got sprayed with mace by the cops ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Better mace than Saban's spittle an inch from his nose

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Moore's 6-5 and Saban's 5-9 (at best). The spittle would probably be closer to his sternum.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He could stand on a box... or water

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nice to see good ole Carver rounding into postseason form.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20100211/NEWS01/2110306/Carver-player-arrested-kicked-off-team

Draft saved Draft deleted