1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knight and Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fast Eddie Felson is very happy that you do not remember the kid that just took all of your fucking money.

Cruise also has a brother who is a very good driver.

People say that if you don't love Cruise, then get the hell out. Well, I love (like) Cruise.

The dude might be wacky, but he has some fantastic films in his resume.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I think anyone would be hard pressed to have a better resume over the last 30 years.

That said, Valkyrie was probably the first movie of his that I didn't see in the theater. I'll probably see this one, but so far based on the Wednesday/Thursday numbers, it's going to be a colossal bomb. That's too bad, because I liked the previews and that's from someone who detests Cameron Diaz.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Unless I missed most of the previews, this movie was deceptively marketed. Knight and Day is more of a romantic comedy than an action movie. The action sequences turn into pure cornball hack material after a decent start to the movie. The strangest thing about the movie is how it flips back and forth between action sequences that seem very dramatic and scenes that are intentionally over the top. One moment, you're watching something that would fit in The Naked Gun, then a moment later, you're seeing a scene that wouldn't seem out of place in a James Bond movie.

Tom Cruise is always good. This movie wasn't an exception. He played the part well, but the movie is a formulaic romantic comedy molded around a few intentionally corny action sequences. Also, the movie included a large amount of distractingly bad CGI effects. A couple of times, there were uses of CGI that wouldn't have looked out of place in episodes of Xena or Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

4. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

There were 60 players selected during the NBA Draft and at least that many commercials for this movie during ESPN's draft coverage. And then there's the ESPN commercial with Cruise and Diaz playing beat the clock on a motorcycle to get Diaz on set. Considering all the ESPN pluggage, I would have thought this was a Disney movie; synergy, don't ya know.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Rain Man

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One of the trades likened the SFX to those seen in commercials for USA Network dramas.

I don't care; I think Tom's an interesting actor and I'm going to see it tonight anyway.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

TC's always been an irritating (at best) lead, but put him in a supporting role he fits, and he'll do. Rain Man was the best example
    of this, by far.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Color of Money

- Forgot he had his name on his shirt. Just a fantastic running take there as well (1:50 - 2:40)

- I have forgotten how cool pool is.

This all said, I have no desire to see him in a movie again.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think he just hates ones with "douchey" opinions on depression. Can't say I disagree.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nicholson and Hanks, and I just woke up. I could probably provide a minimum of a dozen more, if pressed. Virtually every movie TC's
    been in that was very good or better, was VGOB because of someone else.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So I guess no one saw this?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It looks absolutely awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted