1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knicks reportedly hire D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, May 10, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Apologies if this is a d_b, I didn't see it here anywhere and I'm a bit shocked.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/05/10/coach.knicks/index.html?eref=T1

This could actually be a good move for both D'Antoni and the Knicks. But they, both you could argue, are exhibit A and B in futility. The Knicks moreso than D'Antoni, but he's no Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan yet.

On the surface it looks like a good hire for the Knicks IMO.

2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I disagree. I'm not saying D'Antoni is a bad coach, but I don't think he's the right fit for the Knicks.

The Knicks are dysfunctional enough to need someone to come in and clean up. D'Antoni hasn't demonstrated the ability to be that kind of coach.

That's like hiring Tony Dungy to coach the Bengals.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He would have made less money but had a roster much better suited to his system in Chicago. I don't see how he can win in the next couple of years in New York.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Apparently, Pete Vecsey broke the story for the NY Post.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8123594?MSNHPHMA

With what D'Antoni's about to step into, he's going to need all the good luck he can get.

I want to know why the Knicks passed on Mark Jackson. He had been the front-runner for the job. What changed Donnie Walsh's mind?

5. jakewriter82

Well maybe. But the Suns were 29-53 in 2003, the year he took over midseason. Then the next season they went 62-20 and reached the conference finals. They also acquired Steve Nash and Amare, but it's not like D'Antoni was just a cheerleader.
    He's not going to fix the knicks himself. But it sure helps having someone who knows how to win (in the regular season, at least) calling the shots. And why would Tony Dungy be so bad for the Bengals?
    His record speaks for itself, and Tampa wasn't so great when he took over there, either.
    Edit: The Suns had Staudemire in 2003. But still, the point remains.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As far as Jackson is concerned, I would think the lack of head coaching experience would be a significant factor. The Knicks in their present form are not something I'd turn over to a first-time coach.

7. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I'm definitely not saying Tony Dungy is a bad coach. His record speaks for itself.

I'm making the point that the Knicks need a taskmaster to straighten up the mess left by Dolan and Ike. I figured the Bengals were the best example of an NFL team that would need a taskmaster if they were to get a new coach.

D'Antoni and Dungy may both be excellent coaches (in fact, I consider that a non-argument in Dungy's case), but neither of them are taskmasters. And Dungy isn't a screamer.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm kind of shocked that D'Antoni took the job. He experienced success with Phoenix. As JakeandElwood said, why would D'Antoni pass on the Bulls job to rebuild the thoroughly awful Knicks?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

10. jakewriter82

Well that may be.
    I can't speak to what type of coach D'Antoni is, but he's had success. And my thinking is that could rub off on the Knicks. But then again, Larry Brown failed there so who knows.

11. rube

rube Active Member

He's never had playoff success, and he won't have playoff success in the East either if they continue to run that Suns-style offense. They've got to find a way to bring in something resembling a defensive effort into that scheme if they ever want a shot.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

D'Antoni was going to get paid, no matter where he went. Why go to New York? He's going to be saddled with mis-matched players that openly hate each other and don't care if they win or lose, just as long as they get their shots.

Draft saved Draft deleted