1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klitschko vs. Haye, anybody into this HWT title fight?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mrbio, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I didn't say that.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's known as finding the jugular quickly and going at it with a butcher knife.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Noted. Bad cut and paste. My fault.

4. jr/shotglass

My argument is half-hearted at best, and it is that we may not know how good Wladimir Klitschko is for the very reason that we have never seen him in the ring against greatness. How do you measure greatness otherwise?

I think anyone here who believes they can make that call by watching him against the David Hayes of the world, they may think they know boxing better than they really do. I know I'm not going to give myself that much credit.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

All-time greats can take punches as well as throw them, I know this much is true.

6. mrbio

mrbio Member

Ali and Tyson were no doubt great in their time but the evolution of the sport has passed them by, just like in 10-20 years, there will come new heavyweights who will be superior to Lewis and the Klitschkos.

7. jr/shotglass

But you're basing all your hypothesis on the body advances of evolution.

You don't take heart or grittiness or refusal to lose into the equation, and there is no sport where it means more.

There's the biggest thing with Klitschko. Don't even try to tell me he has a "refuse to lose" gene that remotely approached Ali or Frazier.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Shoehorning Lewis into even the top 10 of all-time heavyweights is a real stretch.

Including either Klitschko in the top 25 is an offense against history.

Unless we're voting by height alone, which seems to be Bio's methodology.

In which case, N. Valuev is the greatest heavyweight in the history of history.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wow, that proves it. I mean ...menacing stares at a weigh in! Has that ever been done before? I'm quite certain Ali/Frazier Hagler/Hearns never stared at each other like that.

10. mrbio

mrbio Member

Yes he does. He has the will to be the best. Both of them do. Tell me how many Klitschko fights you have seen. Nobody becomes the best by just skills and power and by accident. They are the best and dominate because they want it more than anyone else.

11. mrbio

mrbio Member

That's stupid. Anyone who knows boxing knows Valuev is a circus act who was manufactured and protected. His handlers would never let him fight either Klitschko because they knew he would have been abused.

12. mrbio

mrbio Member

Nah, it's a lot more than just the staredown simpleton, it's been two years in the making, tons of back and forth psychological warfare and trash talk, now this clash of titans is finally about to be settled with fists.

Draft saved Draft deleted