1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klitschko vs. Haye, anybody into this HWT title fight?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mrbio, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Having heard this, Mr. Enberg would pause briefly in a moment of deep personal reflection, gently let go your lapels, then bust a table lamp over your head and choke you out.

2. mrbio

mrbio Member

Who could beat Lewis? Lewis was bigger, stronger and smarter than Ali. Lewis was so good he never took a beating and left the game as a winner. In the end, Lewis beat the game, the game didn't beat him like it did Ali, Louis, Tyson, Holmes. Lewis just too smart and too talented to ever take a bad beating. And all the best of his era ducked him for years (Bowe, Holyfield and Tyson w/King).

Azrael, I'd tie you and Enberg into a pretzel in 20 seconds, ya got that.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's exactly the fight I was thinking, too. Same kind of mismatch billed as the fight of the decade. I covered that fight. It was like watching a video game. Lewis could have done the full windmill and still landed right on the top of Grant's head.

Comparing this fight to Ali-Frazier might be the dumbest thing ever written on this board.

And I spent years covering Lewis, who was a very good fighter, but wasn't anything like the top three.

Talk about false hype, mrbio. That's the shit that killed this sport in the first place.

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. mrbio

mrbio Member

You take a fighter at his best, not his worst night. Plenty of all time great fighters suffered bad losses early in career against underrated opponents - Louis, Jack Johnson, Monzon, Sanchez, Klitschko - but like the great sprinter Maurice Greene recently said, ”The heart of a champion is never how you win, it’s how you come back from a loss.”

Lewis, after losing, learned and strengthened and became one of the greatest of the greats.

Roger Federer and Ivan Lendl and Martina Navratilova were all known as underachieving chokers. Look what they became after learning from and overcoming their weaknesses. Or is this over your head?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Um, HBO is not free.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Being condescending while also not seemingly being capable of intelligent insight = a really bad combination.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yawn, two more guys who don't like each other. Oh, this a real grudge match. Christ, promoters have been flogging that shit since Cain squared off against Abel. I would think a "veteran" observer of the sweet science would be able to see through that shit.

I will not comment on the absurd comparison to Ali-Frazier or of either of these jokers to the heavyweight greats of the past.

As for Lewis, I followed his career very closely as he occasionally trained at the same gym I belonged to beginning in his amateur days. Certainly as impressive a physical specimen as I ever saw among the heavyweights but to put him in the top three is absurd. As has been noted, he was KO'd by Oliver McCall, not in an early bout, but in a fight - in England - for the fucking title. He was also KO'd by Hasim Rahman, another guy who hardly distinguished himself as a champion.

Lewis put together an impressive record but much of it is loaded up with the dregs of a bad heavyweight era. Yeah, he beat those guys but I don't know how great he looked in doing it. To me, his most impressive win was probably against Ruddock, a guy I thought had a legitimate chance of beating him. Not many heavys wanted to tangle with Razor in those days.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't care, beats the hell out of the weekly MMA crap.

The "caretakers" of boxing should be so embarrassed that they've let something just west of pro wrestling make serious inroads on them.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For those of you not familiar with the sport, this is going to be like Yankees-Red Sox [/bill simmons]

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Top three greatest what? British-Canadian heavyweight fighters?

Draft saved Draft deleted